Sign in to follow this  
funny old game

Home Truth

What is all the fuss about?

Most of you posters on here have brought all this doom & gloom upon yourselves. Lets be honest we had an amazing season last year & ended up several places higher than we could have ever imagined possible 15 months ago. The board have always said that long term stability was the ultimate goal, so no surprises that we did not & will not spend vast sums of money on transfers. All of which means that an average first division side got lucky, have won the lottery & are about to cut & run back to the whence they came, there pockets overflowing, financially much better placed to make a realistic challenge in the coming seasons. The finger of blame lies with the nieve outlook of the supporters who imagined that competing in the premier league was going to be achievable for a team that at best would provide 2 (max) squad players in most other prem teams.

GET REAL & ACCEPT THAT IT IS GOING TO BE A GREAT ACHIVEMENT TO FINISH 17TH. WITH THIS SQUAD OF VERY AVERAGE PLAYERS. Just try and enjoy it while it lasts because it may be sometime before its on offer again 

Plymouth here we come!!!

I guess that judging by the lack of responce, The truth sometimes hurts?

I may have been a little harsh, perhaps 4-5 players may be able to compete, 

I felt the need to vent a little frustation.  

I went to Charlton yesterday, and I am bitterly disappointed with the performance, esp the inept defending. The truth hurts, but the comments above put things back into perspective, as I tend to agree with the observations that only a few of our players would make any other Prem squads.

But our strengths have been in the work ethic and team spirit areas, and thats the only way out of this situation. But we do need a Leader on the Pitch - if you like a Duncan Forbes character which we had in some ways last year with Malky, who also had something else we are missing - height at the back and also at set plays. Sadly Adam Drury is not that type of skipper, and it seems to be affecting his performances.

Having spent a lot of money (for us anyway) on Doherty as a Centre Back, why on earth is he not playing there?? Flem and Charlton lack height, and our opponents now know that when they fling a few high balls at us, goals will come. Is Beattie playing again for Southampton? Can''t see us keeping a clean sheet next week if he is. Unless the defence has some height in it.

I think we have to accept that its going to take a huge effort to stay up BUT....the teams that stay up are usually those that FINISH the season strongest not start it strongest. So in that respect we are still in there..

I would like to see some of the other players given an opportunity tho. Eddy and Holt look out of their depth a lot of the time even tho they both give 110%. We have already got other options in both those areas in Helveg, Mullers and Safri. I think they all deserve a decent chance now. Also our lack of height at the back is starting to show and i have no doubt other teams have noticed this and are exploiting it so we need to try either Shackell or Doc in centre defence.

Thats my say anyway....