Sign in to follow this  
Jethro

Bradford are bigger than Norwich!

Oh, and in hope to gather an understanding as to whether you''re being modest or unreasonably harsh upon the club you support, how would you compare Bradford to Leicester? Because going by your criteria of domestic knockout trophies as the sole indication of ones history Chops, Bradford are bigger, with Leicester ''only'' ever having won 3 League Cups, and no FA Cups.

[quote user="John"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="John"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="John"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="John"]Our success in the 80''s and 90''s alone was far more glamorous than their collective history in it''s entirity.[/quote]I think winning the FA Cup is quite a big deal.[/quote]So was finishing, 3rd, 4th, 5th, winning the League Cup, and competing in Europe, on top of any other success of ours in that period.It may also be worth reiterating that it was in ''1910'', so in the sense of size i''d say that kind of success scarcely trickles down into their current stature. Although i''ll admit i did speak about their history in a "collective" sense.[/quote]But when it comes down to it, we''ve won the League Cup once, Bradford have won the FA Cup once.  Therefore their history is slightly more glorious than ours.[/quote]When it comes down to it, we''ve reached the League Cup final 4 times, and won it 2 times.They''ve won the FA Cup once (in 1910!). And in that department it hasn''t exactly been a horror show for us, having reached the Semi-Finals 4 times.And i''d say your sadly mistaken if you think ''history'' soley comes from domestic cups from tournaments.[/quote]Well, I quite agree.Tom Adeyemi said that "Bradford are probably a bigger club than Norwich in terms of history."History isn''t selective in terms of recent or further back.  Both teams have spent years in the top flight, been relegated, been promoted again.  In terms of recent history (e.g. post WW2), Norwich have clearly been more successful.  But that''s not what Adeyemi said.Only one team has won a genuine top class trophy, i.e. the FA Cup.  The League Cup is the FA Cup''s ugly sister, after all.  And much as we''ve done well in the early nineties, the old trophy cabinet''s still pretty bare (as opposed to that 1 trophy Bradford won in 1910? For what it''s worth, i know i''d certainly happier with our trophy cabinet).  Appreciate your points about Norwich cup runs and the like, but you don''t list out Bradford''s similar achievements in the late nineties.So I maintain that Tom Adeyemi wasn''t far wrong in what he said.[/quote]One thing you certainly seem to be selective about (i''m stating to womder whether it''s for the sake of argument, something Bradford can ''cling on'' to if you will) is the matter of domestic knockout tournaments, and their prestige. You''ll probably find most people would rate league success, and European tournament inclusion and success way ahead of that of the League Cup or the FA Cup.History may not be selective in terms recent or further back, but contemporary success can well dictate the contemporary size of a club. And for the past 70/80 years or so we''ve pretty much been on top, and made more of a success of ourselves than they did in the earlier period. And what is even more than that is we have done it consistantly, and have never so much as fallen as far down as the 4th tier, and rarely the 3rd tier, as opposed to the majority of time from which Bradford have spent plying their trade.To be honest, i''m not even sure that the FA Cup was that prestigious in 1910, but for Bradford it is a tournament they can lay claim to having one it in it''s earliest stages. Infact, i''d gander the League Cup at latter half of the 20th century was bigger than the FA Cup at the start of the 20th century, but for now that''s matter of opinion, for i can''t really be bothered to scour for facts and evidence to support that.Anyway, you seem to be basing the entire criteria of size on history, when that is only one mere factor.Why bother with this Chopsy? Do you honestly feel Bradford are bigger than us? Cos'' i can tell you right now, i''m sorry, but i''m yet to find an element of your argument for them for which i find remotely substantial.Personally, accounting for all the elements and make-up of composition within each club, i don''t think their as much as comparable with our size, whatever you think about our histories.[/quote]The thread is about Adeyemi saying  "Bradford are probably a bigger club than Norwich in terms of history."I can see where he''s coming from in saying that, though I would say Norwich are probably bigger in terms of history.  If you judge it on silverware, the FA cup is the most prestigious trophy between all the two clubs'' achievements, but we have championships and as you say, two league cups including the one in 1962 which I forgot about...I could debate your point about us being "on top" for the last 80 years when both clubs have tasted success and failure alike.  We were Division 3 South for a long time, after all.  Hardly "on top" of anything.  But that''s another debate.  And European "success" is not getting knocked out in round 3.We are clearly a bigger team at the moment.  But it''s not a thread about whether Norwich are bigger than Bradford at the moment.  That would not even be worth debating, and it''s not what Tom Adeyemi said.

Apart from the FA cup win, won when Hitler was still in borstel, Bradford haven''t got anything else on us!!

Look at the respective histories of the clubs, League postions, average crowds and you''ll see that Norwich have comfortably been the bigger club!

Yes Bradford have got good support for League 2 thanks to cheap season tickets and have got a decent ground (in fact two sides of it are splendid, although the away end is c rap!) thanks to their 2 season spell in the Premiership 10 years ago!

But before the Premiership spell Bradford had many years when staying in the 2nd tier was considered a good season and have spent most of their history in the bottom 2 Divisions. Indeed when fellow Bradford club Bradford Park Avenue were in the League, they were often better than City and the Bantums were considered the smaller club!

I can see why Adeyami said what he did, in order to massage the Bradford fans egos and get in their good books but hes playing on the "little Old Norwich" urban myth which is wrong and if he looked more closely at facts he''ll see that Bradford aren''t no where near as big a club as Norwich!

I was slightly annoyed when I saw it but not that bothered cause if Adeyami plays like he has done for us in most games he''ll struggle to get into Bradfords team and has a lot of improving before he will become good enough to become a Norwich 1st team regular!

Only comment ''It is probably a bigger club than Norwich in terms of history.'', which is fair enough. They get 10,000+ midtable in League 2, thats pretty good, and they do have a lot of history. Wouldnt say they are bigger, may say, as, or nearly as big. But he even says his future lies at Norwich.

Dont see anything wrong in what he says. Would anyone really expect him to sign and say ''well its a big drop down, the facilties are crap, Bradford are a League One club at best''. Give the lad a break, hes only young.

For gods sake, Jamie Cureton said this week after training at Exeter City, that the club, facilities, ground and supporters were fantastic. Righto Jamie. Eevry player bigs up the club they are playing for.

When we signed John Ruddy, im sure you would have been chuffed to bits if he had said ''Well this is a massive step down for me''.