Sign in to follow this  
AndyCanary

My summary of players yesterday

Great game yesterday! Always been a Norwich fan, but lived near Yeovil most of my youth and my fathers business was their shirt sponsor etc so I always had season tickets etc. Still there was no doubt in my mind who I was supporting yesterday!Players:Forster: Didn''t have much to do at all. Was reliable with the many many pass backs that we played. His kicking was ok''ish for him. He had a couple of miss kicks. 1 in particular which he spooned with his left foot. Loved it when he teased the Yeovil player by crouching to pick the ball up and then not, up down up down. Didn''t enough to do to deserve a valid rating 7/10.Rose: Much improved. He seemed to have more confidence than he did versus Southend where he seemed to hold on the ball a lot. He made some great long ball passes up the field and wasn''t ever threatened on his flank. He only made a couple of mistakes with intercepted passes. And the crowd got on his back for passing the ball back despite nobody making options for him. I was one of his harshest critics of late but a solid 8/10.Nelson: I''ve long been a supported of Nelson. And argued against those who critisize his distribution. However, I saw this fault clearly in the first half. Whilst being solid he was guilty of clearing the ball in pub league style. Other than that a solid performance at the back. But wasn''t really challenged. 6/10Doherty: Solid as ever, nothing got passed him. Confident and clinical with his passing. Even had a lil bit of a run on the park with the ball and skinned one of their players. Wasn''t tested but worthy of a 9/10.Martin: Similar to Rose was great at getting the ball forward. I especially like Martins ability to find space and create the easy option for the attacking players. Wasn''t caused any real problems but his attacking support deserves him 8/10.Lappin: Was pretty good today. Did well when he was called upon. But does seem to go absent for long periods throughout games. 7/10Smith: Great performance today fought hard to take the place of Rusty. Was resilient and clinical. 9/10Hoolahan: I can''t help but feel that we''re not getting the best out of Wes with our wide play. But he got stuck in today making himself available and even won some headers. Think he nicked his goal from Holty but I''m glad he got on the score sheet. 8/10.Mcnamee: MAN OF THE MATCH. He was everywhere. His touch is unbelievable.. like nobody I''ve ever seen before. The amount of times the ball was pitched too hard and far for him and it was destined for a throw in and he managed to not only keep it in, but pick it up like it was glued to his foot and without a seconds delay be motoring down the wing. He made the second goal by his tireless tracking back and crunching clinical tackles. We''ve got a FANTASTIC player in this guy. First name on the team sheet for me, and those that say he can''t shoot should have seen his shot in the first half from distance. 10/10Holt: He just hates to give the ball away doesn''t he. On the few occasions he did he made Rooney''esque attempts to win it back and succeeded. He was almost back to his pre-suspension best today. You could see he was working hard to avoid the attention of the ref. A general solid performance for him. My only critism is that he tends to loiter offside often. By his own standards he''s not worthy of any more than 8/10 but a solid performance.C.Martin: I think Martin needs a rest. I don''t think he is lazy, but I do think he''s lost his edge. Perhaps it''s from becoming comfortable with being in the starting line up. He did everything he was asked to do yesterday and worked hard when he had to. But I think that is the defining issue lately. Unlike Holt he won''t chase around the pitch. But he will when it''s his responsibility to. We''ve got the players to rest him and I think we should. Other than that he was flawless when called upon 7/10.OliOliOli: I wonder if ever a sub who''s come into a team as a sub and not a starting player as ever had such high regard with our fans? Didn''t have too much to do but worked hard and didn''t make any mistakes. 7/10Elliot: Looks really sharp, came on and was running all over the park. I''d like to see him start alongside Holt. Didn''t see enough of him to warrant a top rating but was great when called upon. 7/10.If we see Oli and Elliot playing together as a strike partnership will it give way to a new John and Edward type name of Oliott?Gill: Looked like he really wanted his time on the pitch and worked hard to impress. Didn''t see enough to decide any more than 7/10.Lambert: The lads seemed really fired up today. Rose was much improved and seemed more confident. I saw Lambert shouting encouragment to Rose to push forward. His substitutions were smart as he couldn''t have helped for a better result to give those players a run out. 9/10Crowd: Barclay were on form as ever. Snakepit seemed quiet today. The Jarrold, GW, and N&P were like morgues yesterday. Every time I sang along to the Barclays chants you''d think I''d stood up and started singing a Gary Glitter song at a funeral. 5/10Yeovil: They were poor from their midfield forward. Their defence worked hard and did well, and their keeper made some top class saves and was clinical from set pieces. Their midfield was woeful. And their forwards were laughable. The biggest thing that stood out for me was how wet they all were. Almost like they were terrified of the ball! Especially Williams he shyed away from the ball everytime it came near him.Thanks for reading  [:D]

like your style.. by calling it a summary you get one over on the forum gestapo who would normally tell you to put this on the other ratings  threads and stop attention seeking  [:D]

Pretty good summary Andy.I wouldn''t have said it was a good game.Great result,but the game got a bit dull for a while.We have that ''Arsenal'' habit of getting so far up the pitch,and then over-passing (pricking about as i call it),instead of getting it into the box.

It was good to see Rose.I had only heard people slagging him,but he looked good and assured,winning the ball back etc.

With your markings;

1 extra to Nelson.Good,done his job,but poor distribution.League 1 clogger,but that is what we need.

A couple off Mcnamee.Was good,looks an exciting prospect but 10/10? (Sorry,just nitpicking)

Maybe 1 off Chrissy.He seemed to give up the chase too easily.

Yeovil were poor.We could have easily put the game to bed by half time.

[quote user="Herman "]

Pretty good summary Andy.I wouldn''t have said it was a good game.Great result,but the game got a bit dull for a while.We have that ''Arsenal'' habit of getting so far up the pitch,and then over-passing (pricking about as i call it),instead of getting it into the box.

It was good to see Rose.I had only heard people slagging him,but he looked good and assured,winning the ball back etc.

With your markings;

1 extra to Nelson.Good,done his job,but poor distribution.League 1 clogger,but that is what we need.

A couple off Mcnamee.Was good,looks an exciting prospect but 10/10? (Sorry,just nitpicking)

Maybe 1 off Chrissy.He seemed to give up the chase too easily.

Yeovil were poor.We could have easily put the game to bed by half time.

[/quote]I agree with the over passing. I think it came more from a lack of options in the box rather than just wanting to keep possession. Martin, Rose, Lappin, and Mcnamee worked the wings really well but I often saw them get stuck in the corners without options in the box so they''d pass it back.Good call re: Nelson. My rating was lower because of the level of the opposition as much as his poor distribution. He can be forgiven for clearances sometimes but yesterday there were several occassions where I thought he had more time and could have made a better ball.Where were you sat? I was sat in the Jarrold and in the second half saw a lot of Mcnamee as I pretty much sat right next to where he was 80% of the half. However, versus Southend I was in the Barclay and despite seeing Mcnamee play terrifically well I''d not have given him 10/10 there because I didn''t get to see just how great his touch and movement was because of the difficult angle.The second goal came from nowhere made by Mcnamees superb tracking back to steal the ball and play it in to what made the goal. He even seemed to pick up a knock in a harsh tackle. But didn''t fuss and got up and played on. I love to see footballers not cry rolling round on the floor. Plus he wears yellow boots so he automatically gets a +1 [:P]Can''t argue with Chrissy.Yeovil were awfully poor at going for the neutral ball yesterday. They weren''t so bad when they had possession. Their forwards were dull dull dull!

[:D] I will give you that Andy.I was sat right at the top of the Barclay,so you would have had a much better view.The Jarrold is a great place to watch a game,if only it had a better atmosphere.I hadn''t noticed his yellow boots,but someone had the brightest red ones on.It may have been the new lad.

The chasing of lost balls was a good thing yesterday.Lappin,Rose,Korey,Mcnamee all made sure they won the ball back[Y]

Special mention to the ref,as i didn''t really notice him do anything wrong and let the game flow.

Ah I meant to mention the ref. Thought he was first class. The lines man on the Jarrold side was a bit dodge though. Ball went out and he missed it.. not complaining though as it was for us!Seemed a lot of shouts for handballs throughout the game.

Good to see someone else agree rose played great and macca was superb! ..Disagree about nelson/doc...Both did their jobs against nothing but both did nothing wrong(hardly) .Nelson had 2 more interceptions than doc though so would give him a point more than doc..On reflection,i think it would be better to judge them outta as 5 would be what was asked of them..then doc 4/5 nelson 4.5/5

I think the difference for me yesterday between Doc and Nelly was Doc was a lot more clinical with his tackling. He''d get teh ball and play it to someone more often. Where as Nelly would boot it more often. I didn''t see either of them miss any tackles, or get out of position so the amount of tackles they did I''d say depended on who''s zone the ball fell in.