Sign in to follow this  
birchfest

Team for Tuesday

This has been talked about in a couple of the other threads and I think for the first time since the MK Dons match we are faced with a situation where we dont know what to expect due to injury and suspension.Im going for this;

Forster       R. Martain       Askou       Doc       Lappin             Smith           Hughes          McNamee                                                             Hoolahan                                    Holt                       C. Martain

This

depends on if Askou is fit, I would play him ahead of Nelson, even if

only for an hour. I think Rose needs to be replaced and Lappin is doing

nothing for us in the middle at the moment, so stick him at the back as

he still gets the tackles in at the moment. I would like to see what

McNamme would do with a start and I think Hughes has proved several

times this season that he can be our key man in the middle creating

play and picking out passes. Certainly a very attacking line up,

however we have to go at Southend and score early for fear of the crowd

getting restless.

Tough one ... all kinda depends if Rusty is available.                                  ForsterSpillane           Askou              Doc          R.Martin            Hughes            Russell         Smith                                  Hoolahan                   C.Martin               Holt

Or if Rusty is suspended                                 ForsterSpillane             Askou           Doc            R.Martin                                 HughesSmith                        Hoolahan                McNamee                     C.Martin               Holt

Think Wes could play that role. He was like a terrier today, hassling players in our own half trying to get the ball back.

bit  optimistic but what about

Forster

Askou or spillane if are fit        nelson        doc

Hughes     russell

smith              wes                mcnamee

martin       holt

Forster

Askou     Doherty   Spillane

Mcnamee    Smith      Hughes      Lappin

Hoolahan

Holt              Martin

It''s bad enough you''ve got Spillane on the left side of the defence but a 3 man backline to start the game would be suicide.

You have to play systems your players are familiar and comfortable with.

[quote user="Canary Ascent"]                        Forster

Askou     Doherty   Spillane

Mcnamee    Smith      Hughes      Lappin

Hoolahan

Holt              Martin

[/quote]McNamee is a left winger ... and Lappin at the moment just doesnt pull up any trees.Although i must admit that the 3-5-2 is appealing if we could sort the left side. Smith could easily play, and probably flourish in the right wing back role, not sure about McNamee on the left though.

It''s bad enough you''ve got Spillane on the left side of the defence but a 3 man backline to start the game would be suicide.

You have to play systems your players are familiar and comfortable with.

you can switch askou and spillane and hughes and russell play the holding roll

i did say it was optimistic

I don''t think playing spillane on the left of a three would be much of an issue GJP. Admittedly my preference would be Whitbread but he''s not fit.

Maybe Askou or Doc on the left side of the three but there''s not much in it for me. The idea would be to attack and get hold of the ball in the oppositions half. When defending Lappin would drop back and one of Hoolahan or Martin would drop left. I''m just puting it out there as an alternative. I think we have looked laboured of late and I don''t thing we are any more exposed with them three than having Nelson, Martin and Rose in our back line!

[quote user="Canary Ascent"]

I don''t think playing spillane on the left of a three would be much of an issue GJP. Admittedly my preference would be Whitbread but he''s not fit.

Maybe Askou or Doc on the left side of the three but there''s not much in it for me. The idea would be to attack and get hold of the ball in the oppositions half. When defending Lappin would drop back and one of Hoolahan or Martin would drop left. I''m just puting it out there as an alternative. I think we have looked laboured of late and I don''t thing we are any more exposed with them three than having Nelson, Martin and Rose in our back line!

[/quote]

I''d think you find that we''d struggle with that.

Spillane is a fairly inexperienced player who is comfortable on his right side. You''d then be asking him to play on his left side which is something that can trip up more experienced players. It''s not as if he''s particularly great on the ball either.

For me we stay with a back four. And, although he''s not anywhere near as good as Drury, I''d stick by Rose at left back. It''s his natural position. It keeps things balanced.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Canary Ascent"]

[/quote]

Spillane is a fairly inexperienced player who is comfortable on his right side. You''d then be asking him to play on his left side which is something that can trip up more experienced players. It''s not as if he''s particularly great on the ball either.

For me we stay with a back four. And, although he''s not anywhere near as good as Drury, I''d stick by Rose at left back. It''s his natural position. It keeps things balanced.

[/quote]

We''ll probably never find out but I can see your point and in hindsight would probably put Spillane over to the right thus making a flat back four when Lapin drops back.

I''d like to pick you up on one point though ''It''s not as if he''s particularly great on the ball either''. I strongly disagree with this, I''d say he''s probably one of our best defenders on the ball. I saw a lot of Micky Spillane come up through the youth team and in the reserves when he was a central midfiled player and he is very accomplished on the ball. A very good ball playing midfielder and I was disappointed to see him moved to the back. The current Russell role would be perfect for him. He used to play in midfield for his country too and he would never hide from the ball.

[quote user="Canary Ascent"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Canary Ascent"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

We''ll probably never find out but I can see your point and in hindsight would probably put Spillane over to the right thus making a flat back four when Lapin drops back.

I''d like to pick you up on one point though ''It''s not as if he''s particularly great on the ball either''. I strongly disagree with this, I''d say he''s probably one of our best defenders on the ball. I saw a lot of Micky Spillane come up through the youth team and in the reserves when he was a central midfiled player and he is very accomplished on the ball. A very good ball playing midfielder and I was disappointed to see him moved to the back. The current Russell role would be perfect for him. He used to play in midfield for his country too and he would never hide from the ball.

[/quote]

I disagree. Like you I''ve seen him play as a youngster as well.

His touch, control and passing aren''t up to scratch.

Hence why he''s used as a utility defensive player. Not a midfielder.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Canary Ascent"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Canary Ascent"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I disagree. Like you I''ve seen him play as a youngster as well.

His touch, control and passing aren''t up to scratch.

Hence why he''s used as a utility defensive player. Not a midfielder.

[/quote]

I guess opinions are what this board is all about. Doesn''t seem we''ll agree on Spillane.

However, whatever fteam/formation we go with on Tuesday lets hope we bounce back with a decent win!