Sign in to follow this  
Jon Moorhouse

Back from game - review

The first time I''ve sat in a Norwich end and seen us win since the promotion winning season (although have seen 3 wins from the wrong end in that time)! Oldham hasn''t changed much since last visit when we lost 3-0 at an end of season game - in fact it looks pretty dilapidated - apparently they''re moving to a new ground soon and need to.

Not a great first half - started ok first 20 minutes then they finished the strongest. We scored an offside goal from a good McNamee cross and their striker (on loan from Millwall and looked like Don Goodman) bottled a lunge at the far post and really should have scored.

2nd half we were the better side and deservedly scored from a Mcnamee cross from the left that found Grant Holt on the edge of the 6 yard box at the far post and slotted in to the roof of the net.

Oldham had a strong finish last 20 or so and Forster had to be at his very best to tip a one on one round his left post.

Ratings:

Forster 8 - didn''t have a huge amount to do but did what he had to do very well

R Martin 7 - solid and untroubled - should have done better with a shot

Doc 8 - solid and untroubled at the back

Nelson - for blocking, tackling and heading 7 - for passing and distribution 2 was once free in space and managed to slice the ball with the outside of his left foot in to the stand my grandma could pass better and she''s 88 - but she certainly couldn''t head/block/tackle better

Rose 7 - did ok

Lappin 7 - had a decent game - got stuck in well and won some crunching tackles which surprised me

Smith 7 - hustled well and used the ball well

Hoolahan 7 - picked up a strain in first half I think - went down unchallenged and was subbed in 2nd half

McNamee 7- needs to be a bit more direct, swerved in and out but needed to attack full back a bit more - 2 good crosses though

Martin 5 - poor he has rarely impressed me (I don''t see Norwich that often (about 8 games a season)) didn''t challenge for much - wanders around looking like he thinks the game owes him a chance - may be a good finisher but needs to work a lot harder (when we were under the cosh clearance from Forster wasn''t even challenged for nor the subsequent knock back from Doc)

Holt 9 - mom work rate immense and good finish

Hughes 7 - did well when he came on and defended in midfield well

Oli - 7 skillful but looked a bit naive in some of the runs he makes or doesn''t make - good with the ball at his feet

Good crowd turnout from us - good noise - didn''t hear a peep from the Oldham fans.

Yeh i agree with that.

Martin was poor especially when he played wide left early on!!!

Oli should have scored in the second half but looked lively

Rose did OK but was caught out a couble of times

Nelson HOOFED a couple into the stand but otherwise did OK

Overall a good perfomance against an oldham side that didnt look too bad