Sign in to follow this  
Robornio

Can Portsmouth cause 4 to go up??

[quote user="Penfold"]I''ve been wondering about this myself.

The way I see it is if Pompey are liquidated two further teams from the Premier league will be relegated into the Championship, the normal three Championship teams will be promoted into the Premier league, therefore making next years Championship one team short. Perhaps there will be an extra league one promotion place this year?

If anybody know for certain please enlighten us.

[/quote]

There is no precedent for this.

The last league club to go under was Maidstone United in 92. The football league used this and the demise of Aldershot at the end of the previous season to reduce the amount of clubs to 70 with another 22 joining the recently formed Premier league.

So neither they, nor Aldershot were replaced and the whole promotion/relegation thing was avoided.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Their new owner is owed a lot of money by the club, the reason he took it over was because he had a better chance some of his money back than by just standing back and watching it fail.  I wouldn''t be surprised if he finds a way of paying off the HMRC.
[/quote]

So has the names of the two supposed new owners been made public? or is this just another one of his tricks, With a debt of £60.000.000, I think it''s going to take either a very brave man or a stupid one, as this money will probably never be got back in the near future, so who ever it is,will be either as said daft or stupid.  

On the other side of the coin, If they just go into administration and drop down to the Championship next season, Would they get the same Parachute money or would they have to forego this to pay off debt/?

This is again as I understand it and I would stand to be corrected. If Portsmouth were put into administration they would be deducted 9 points - not 10 as in the football league. They could of course stay up obviously highly unlikely, but with administration would carry on.

HMRC have said they are tradeing insolvently and therefore need to be wound up. They would therefore no longer be allowed to fulfil their fixtures and all points teams have got against them will be deducted. The league beneficiaries here would of course be Liverpool. They will then have to apply to enter a new league if indeed they are reformed - like Kings Lynn. It would be highly unlikely that they would be accepted by the football league but maybe into the conference. If you cast your minds back if Soton would have been wound up they were going to be accepted in the conference.

I would suspect however that if Portsmouth are thrown out only 2 more will be relegated. The 1 club making up the league again I would suspect would be an extra conference side with each league allowing one less relegation place to keep their number their same not an extra promotion place.

I think you are right in that they would always reduce relegation, which in a way is wrong as it benefits a club that is struggling rather than a club that has had a good season but finished 3rd.

In this instance it doesn''t matter to the Prem as Pompey will get relegated anyway but should for instance, as it stands, Reading, Gillingham and Grimsby be saved by default?

The top of the CCC won''t be affected as there will still be three places to fill as usual to the Prem but on the basis that we are sold that the play-offs add spice to the season then promoting an extra side and extending the play-off places by one extra position. Extra incentive for mid table Div 3, 4 and Conference clubs.

The Conference are going to have asimialr problem with Chester.

Locally Kings Lynn''s demise means that our local non-League side Wivenhoe Town can escape relegation, (albeit they are crap with just 5 points I think), from Ridgeons Prem.

I do agree magnificent however another way of looking at it is that each league should be as strong as possible and I would assume going by other leagues that the argument would be that Reading are a stronger side than possibly the 7 th team in the league below.

A good example is Crystal Palace where if they were not playing as well as they are you could argue that they would have saved Reading