Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

FFS, Cody Mac is still unproven!

I have to agree with Wiz about Cody.  The crunch game last season was against Reading.  His only league start but was completely ineffective because of their experience against his lack of.  They dominated him.  

He does have potential,  but just because we are now facing league one players does not mean he will run riot.  He has pace and ethusiasm, and I too hope he will do well.  

Wiz is not advocating Cureton as the starting option,  just trying to rightly temper the over enthusiastic optimism (translated - pressure if he fails to score in the opening two games) that he is our striking saviour.    I am not saying he wont be - but its simply too soon to say.

What he does is give us pace and that is painfully missing at the mo

The thing that gets me with this ''young'' striker, is that he is 22 (not sure when he is 23) thats not actually that young, with a quick pacey striker, he probably has 10 years in him, so oh, lets wait a season or two, thats just stupid. If he is not good enough after 10/15 games, how will he ever be that good, im not saying all he should get is 10 games, and if he never scored, kick him out, but he needs to be playing.Oh and another thing, how do these players develop, if they don''t get to play?

im going to use a horse racing analogy, it seems apt.
you have 3 horses.

1 is a young but unproven talent, which is excitable and eager. (1)
another is an alcoholic idiot with a temper, but with good legs on it (2)
the last one, the veteran, still wags its tail, and will never give up, but always falls short in the races. (3)

now, which ones in order would you rather race?

id go for the young unproven one, after all, how do you become proven? by PLAYING!!!!
and be it a horse or a cody, without experience and the opportunity, you wont go anywhere, talented or not.

the alcoholic idiot, is clearly talented but needs to be kicked down a level, could Martin come good this year if tamed properly?

and as for the veteran,
you know who i am comparing him to. And in truth, if games were won on effort, he would get the golden boot, but alas it just isnt,
i think its time we let him go to stud or shot him and served him in Delias.

based on this, AS it stand, cody is the best option we have, it would be good if we signed competition, but if we didnt, id stand by him as he is the best talent we have, and he can do it. Jamie lad has done it, he HAS been there, but, it doesnt mean he will be any better this time around.
id still want to see some really good competition coming in for every position though not just strikers.

Can we establish what exactly was the horse wagging, if it wasn''t his tail? [:)]

Cureton actually looks very handy in that clip against Chelsea Reserves. Maybe it''s just that he took a massive whack to his confidence? Playing away in an empty stadium, he certainly looks a handier player.

And on the subject of Macdonald, I completely agree with Wiz. It''s not that I think he''s particularly bad, I just get the impression that quite a few people think he''s going to bag 20+ league goals in his first season, based solely on a few cameos. We shouldn''t - and can''t - expect that

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]

Cureton actually looks very handy in that clip against Chelsea Reserves. Maybe it''s just that he took a massive whack to his confidence? Playing away in an empty stadium, he certainly looks a handier player.

And on the subject of Macdonald, I completely agree with Wiz. It''s not that I think he''s particularly bad, I just get the impression that quite a few people think he''s going to bag 20+ league goals in his first season, based solely on a few cameos. We shouldn''t - and can''t - expect that

[/quote]

We all look good down the park with our kids doing flicks & tricks. When three points are at stake Jamie loses his bottle.

[quote user="The Voice Of Reason"][quote user="Chunky Norwich"]

[/quote]

We all look good down the park with our kids doing flicks & tricks. When three points are at stake Jamie loses his bottle.

[/quote]

Trust me mate, I don''t [:''(]