Sign in to follow this  
Bernard  Futter

THAT '59 SHIRT DETAILING

As I was fortunate enough to spend my formative football spectating years watching that truly charismatic 58/59 Cup Team, I am naturally pleased that commercial imperatives will be put on one side when the fully coordinated old strip will be given another outing instead of the ''oh look there''s a square inch of spare space, quick put a logo on it'' current day circus style confection.Embarrassed (at my age) by the whole notion of owning let alone wearing a replica shirt, I nevertheless seriously considered for old times sake, the purchase of said shirt.That is until I had a good look at what actually was on offer.From poor web imaging admitedly, it would appear that the neck now sports an overlap at the middle of the vee, the badge is rounded at the bottom instead of shield shaped and it also looks as though it has  sprouted a border. The annoying thing - especially with a fully commercial run of nearly a 1000x - it would have been just as easy to get it 100% right.I was expecting a replica not a pastiche, so for that reason, I''m out.

[quote user="Bernard Futter"]As I was fortunate enough to spend my formative football spectating years watching that truly charismatic 58/59 Cup Team, I am naturally pleased that commercial imperatives will be put on one side when the fully coordinated old strip will be given another outing instead of the ''oh look there''s a square inch of spare space, quick put a logo on it'' current day circus style confection.Embarrassed (at my age) by the whole notion of owning let alone wearing a replica shirt, I nevertheless seriously considered for old times sake, the purchase of said shirt.That is until I had a good look at what actually was on offer.From poor web imaging admitedly, it would appear that the neck now sports an overlap at the middle of the vee, the badge is rounded at the bottom instead of shield shaped and it also looks as though it has  sprouted a border. The annoying thing - especially with a fully commercial run of nearly a 1000x - it would have been just as easy to get it 100% right.I was expecting a replica not a pastiche, so for that reason, I''m out.

[/quote]yeah, but the long baggy shorts will be the same??? lol!!!

[quote user="Potless Percy "][quote user="AndyJR"]

Take a look at this from the FA Cup 1967.  The atmosphere must have been amazing and as for the commentary, ''Norwich are getting Cheeky with it now''!!  Brillers!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NZgFtTLY6qk

[/quote]

You''ve made my day Andy, I was somewhere in that heaving mass of City fans!  Unforgettable.

[/quote]never seen that clip before - if we EVER get on a good cup run again, (a later stage draw v man u would be great!!!) then maybe we should badger those wayne kerrs on motd to show this clip!!!

I was there too despite oversleeping and missing as planned the MUFC London Branch Supporters Club coach from Charing X.Somehow managed the trip by train -  would have been my biggest ever sporting regret otherewise! Keelan v Law summed up the game and you felt only the latter could have scored against the Great Kev.The goal was actually better in the flesh - the TV coverage doesn''t show the fantastic amount of swerve Law got with the outside of his foot.

You are right to question why somebody couldn''t have put a bit more effort into making this replica shirt an exact copy of the original, Bernard. I''m with you, in stating that I have no interest in buying a pastiche.

Er no SS, my journalistic claim to fame is that I wrote regularly for ''NME'' for seven years in the paper''s big circulation eraNow as other fellow scribes of the period such as Tony Parsons, Julie Burchill and Paul Morley went on to be famous, I get  flushed with excitement when I see my name on this site!