Sign in to follow this  
ncfcstar

OT: Anyone Good At Maths (Please Keep This Here Because Otherwise Hardly Anyone Will See It)

I got my module marks for my second year today, and basically want to know how I can work out exactly what I got...and unfortunately as a Historian I''m not into maths!

So if I give you my module mark for one module, can you explain to me how it is worked out, and what mark I got for my exam?

So for one module I got a mark of 68

In this module I have 2 assignments (both worth 20%) and an exam worth 60%.

For the two assignments I got 71 and 60

So what result did I get for my exam?

Hope you can help me, I''ve being trying to work it out for about an hour but I''m getting nowhere, if you could show me exactly how I can work it out that would be great as I''ve got another 5 modules to work out as well!

I also made it 70.68 x 5 = 340340 - (71 + 60) = 209209 / 3 = 69.6666 (or 70 near enough)

[quote user="ncfcstar"]Cheers for the help guys, although I am still slightly confused by how you work it out?[/quote]20% is one-fifth of the total mark. One-fifth is decided by each of the essays, and three-fifths by the exam.Therefore you multiply the total mark (68) by five, giving 340. Then subtract the marks from the essays, which each account for one-fifth, and you are left with 209, the total for the other three-fifths of the overall mark. Divide that total by three, and you have the average amount of the other 60% of the total.

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="ncfcstar"]Cheers for the help guys, although I am still slightly confused by how you work it out?[/quote]20% is one-fifth of the total mark. One-fifth is decided by each of the essays, and three-fifths by the exam.Therefore you multiply the total mark (68) by five, giving 340. Then subtract the marks from the essays, which each account for one-fifth, and you are left with 209, the total for the other three-fifths of the overall mark. Divide that total by three, and you have the average amount of the other 60% of the total.[/quote]

Great stuff, thanks once again, I would have been sitting around for ages trying to work it out!

[quote user="CaptnCanary"]71x0.2 + 60x0.2 + 70x0.6 = 68.2%[/quote]

I''ll explain a bit better for you. You know this > 71*0.2 + 60*0.2 + X*0.6 = 68%

So rearrange the equation to 68 - 71*0.2 - 60*0.2 = X*0.6

Divide both sides by 0.6 to get X = (68 - 71*0.2 - 60*0.2)/0.6

Therefore X = 69.666

But you would have been given a round number mark for your exam making it 70% and your actual module mark was 68.2% but is rounded to 68%