Sign in to follow this  
Stevie Wonder

Can we compete in the transfer market?

[quote user="Delias Devonshire Dirtbox"]

Dont forget the WAG''s. Roy Keane said last year he lost out on players cos Sunderland wasn''t near London, Birmingham or the North West

[/quote]

Good point DDD. I think a lot of it is to do with the perception of an area in the media as much as the location. I think Keane mentioned that the WAGs thought that there weren''t any nice shops in Sunderland. Now ask yourself how Norwich (and Norfolk) is perceived in the media. The city has changed enormously since I was a kid growing into quite a cosmopolitan and, dare I say it, trendy little city. Yet in the national media we are still stereotyped as slack jawed yokels whose idea of a good night out is chasing somebody off our farms with a pitchfork and then retiring to the bedroom to screw our sister. Sunderland is portrayed as a grim Northern industrial town and certainly not the kind of place any self respecting WAG would want to step out in. I wonder if Ricky thinks Roy Keane is full of BS too [:^)]

Camul makes an interesting point about this being silly season for rumours on the press. Take the Ashton to United rumours that were being discussed on another thread. It wasn''t until yesterday that I noticed that Ashton is currently in negotiations with West Ham over a new contract. What a coincidence that United are suddenly interested in him now [;)]