Sign in to follow this  
Bobert

Reserve Team Football

I watched the first half of the match against Colchester last night. I specifically went to see Lee Peltier (said to be a Liverpool player). I did not think be played any better than the rest of the Norwich players on show and I did not think that any of them looked like 1st Team players.

Now tell me folks, and maybe I am wrong in my views, but what is the point of a Reserve Team if none of the players are capable of playing in the 1st Team. Is the Reserve Team just a gaping "Black" Hole which is sucking up funds we could better use for the 1st Team?

Judging by the number of stewards on duty last night, the cost of lighting the ground etc, and the size of the paying crowd  there must have been a pretty big operating loss last night.

Better play Reserve Team Football on Saturday afternoons ( when the 1st team is playing away) I am thinking especially if none of the Reseve Team is likely to be a force in the 1st Team.

I certainly believe there is a point to reserve team football, but I agree with what you are saying, and I am pretty sure Glen does too.We have a LARGE squad, its just not got any quality in, and that was Glens problem with the reserves when they got battered to Ipswich, is how can they expect to play 1st team football, when not good enough for reserves?I think we will see most of these back up players, Eagle, Halliday, Lappin.....leave in the summer, as Glen clearly wants players who want to and can step up.

The purpose is also to give games to first team players returning after injury and who are not quite match fit. As we saw last night, it can be used to keep fit first team fringe players - Spillane, Martin, etc. and to assess players on trial in a match situation.But there is some truth in your main point, that if you can''t tell how good a 17 year old is against adult teams is there a real alternative to having a reserve team - sending out on loan makes it difficult to monitor youg players if there are several of them.

I have to agree that what was on show last night does not fill me with any confidence.Lee Peltier at 21 looked very average. In a very poor game Norwich were very much the dominant side but without a cutting edge were unable to turn this into goals. In defence we looked ponderous and slow and Lappin at left back looked like he would rather be somewhere else.Apart from Eagle who was always looking for the ball the midfield was predictable,lacking pace or any aggression. Lathrope had yet another awful night and Rossi Jarvis was not far behind. Kelly on the right looked anything but a right winger-where was Smart? Up front Martin was a willing target man and showed nice touches but the lack of pace which has been so evident in his first team appearances let him down again, his partner Daly had pace but no control.

Colchester were poor and apart from the period when Norwich were down to 10 men offered little and their future looks even bleaker in bringing through players. Spillaine looked the best of the bunch and was poorly treated by a very poor decision that everybody apart from the official thought was a decent tackle.Eagle was not far behind in his contribution but it did not take much to stand out in a very poor game.

The lack of real competitive football for our fringe players continues to pose a very serious problems and does very little to put pressure on players in the first team who realise that their place on a Saturday is very much guaranteed.As for some members of those playing last night Roeder may well continue his cull and the door left open for more to leave. No one last night is any where near the standard required to play Championship football and apart from Lappin they were all players who have come through the system including Peltier.Spillaine has a chance but needs a run in the team,for the rest goodbye Norwich hello Kings Lynn

I always thought that one major benefit of promotion to the Premier League was that we would be playing Premier League reserve football.

Its a shame that we have been shafted by the PL again - playing Colchester and Stevenage reserves once a month does noone any favours. It stikes me that no matter how good our academy is, players just don''t get the development chance once they have graduated. It seems to me to be such a gaping hole that I can''t believe that your Brookings, etc don''t make more of an issue about it.

IMHO, its disappointing for the likes of Eagle. While his write up in the official match report suggests his performance was ok, where does he go from here? What are his development opportunities?

Or maybe I''m looking at it too simply...!

Steve

[quote user="sandboy"]

I have to agree that what was on show last night does not fill me with any confidence.Lee Peltier at 21 looked very average. In a very poor game Norwich were very much the dominant side but without a cutting edge were unable to turn this into goals. In defence we looked ponderous and slow and Lappin at left back looked like he would rather be somewhere else.Apart from Eagle who was always looking for the ball the midfield was predictable,lacking pace or any aggression. Lathrope had yet another awful night and Rossi Jarvis was not far behind. Kelly on the right looked anything but a right winger-where was Smart? Up front Martin was a willing target man and showed nice touches but the lack of pace which has been so evident in his first team appearances let him down again, his partner Daly had pace but no control.

Colchester were poor and apart from the period when Norwich were down to 10 men offered little and their future looks even bleaker in bringing through players. Spillaine looked the best of the bunch and was poorly treated by a very poor decision that everybody apart from the official thought was a decent tackle.Eagle was not far behind in his contribution but it did not take much to stand out in a very poor game.

The lack of real competitive football for our fringe players continues to pose a very serious problems and does very little to put pressure on players in the first team who realise that their place on a Saturday is very much guaranteed.As for some members of those playing last night Roeder may well continue his cull and the door left open for more to leave. No one last night is any where near the standard required to play Championship football and apart from Lappin they were all players who have come through the system including Peltier.Spillaine has a chance but needs a run in the team,for the rest goodbye Norwich hello Kings Lynn

[/quote]

No doubt we were poor but according to the Pink Un web site we were playing Carol Duguid at the back.......I wonder how she got on?

The report also says how good Peltier was which seems more spin as he was very average, and how we have no cover for the right back position. We have in Cave Brown a scottish u21 right back who must feel slightly fed up that he could be moving back in the order while Roeder keeps his friends at the premiership clubs happy by looking after their misfits..Why  Cave Brown did not play right back last night seems strange especially as Peltier is also a centre half and midfield player.

[quote user="Bobert"]

I watched the first half of the match against Colchester last night. I specifically went to see Lee Peltier (said to be a Liverpool player). I did not think be played any better than the rest of the Norwich players on show and I did not think that any of them looked like 1st Team players.

Now tell me folks, and maybe I am wrong in my views, but what is the point of a Reserve Team if none of the players are capable of playing in the 1st Team. Is the Reserve Team just a gaping "Black" Hole which is sucking up funds we could better use for the 1st Team?

Judging by the number of stewards on duty last night, the cost of lighting the ground etc, and the size of the paying crowd  there must have been a pretty big operating loss last night.

Better play Reserve Team Football on Saturday afternoons ( when the 1st team is playing away) I am thinking especially if none of the Reseve Team is likely to be a force in the 1st Team.

[/quote]

The Reserve League is a joke...only 18 games a season and with non League outfits brought in to make up the numbers.  The only point to it that I can see is a way of getting people reasonably match fit after an injury but players need to be playing every week if they are to make progress and be serious contenders for the first team.

I suppose you can also use it to give youngsters a taste of (allegedly) higher standard stuff but it didn''t work last night for MK Dons Reserves - only two of their side were over 18 and Ipswich with three or four first team squad were 8-0 up at half time, eventually winning 12-1.  Quite what that did for MK kids I cannot say..........

There should be a proper regional league with reserve teams from Division 1 if necessary  and enough matches to make some point to it.  Either that or scrap the whole thing!