Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Matty Pattison & Mark Fotheringham - Superb

When Pattison first joined the club i was looking forward to seeing him in tandem in centre midfield with Fozzy, he then started on the left and i feared we''d never get the chance to see what potentially could be a great midfield partnership, but thanks to Russell''s fifth booking on tuesday today i got my wish!And how glad i was to get my wish the second Matty Patty flew across midfield with the first of many sliding tackles. He and Fozzy were superb today, workrate was phenomenal, so much energy from the two of them and both covered so much ground. There was one moment in the second half when Pattison forced a Utd player back into his half and eventually blocked the forward punt out for a throw, i then caught sight of Fozzy''s position. Both were high up the field half way inside the Utd''s half, and i couldnt remember the last time i saw our 2 midfielders camped inside the oppositions half, forcing them backwards.The defence played a high line today, so that meant Fozzy and Pattison had to operate so far upfield, but they were box to box the whole game and seemed to work in tandem in defence and attack, instead of one pushing forward and the other covering, they both seemed to attack together and track back together, this worked so well and their energy was crucial to snuffing out Utd''s midfield 3. Admittedly we did look a little ragged in the last 10 mins, this could be down to Fozzy and Patty working so hard for the previous 80 mins that they were knackered, it could also be down to Crofty regularly leaving his right wing berth and going walkabout, as did Semmy in the 2nd half, sometimes leaving Fozzy and Patty overloaded when we lost the ball.That aside, great win today and the midfield two were instrumental in the win. Tireless running, box to box, superb tackling and great spoiler play, especially Fozzy who seemed to involved in every 50/50 in the centre today, often coming out on top and winning the ball back.Will be interesting to see what Roeder does next week when Russell is available. For me its got to be Pattison and Fotheringham again, as good as Russell has been in recent weeks, Hucks must play left wing, and Pattison''s energy, tackling, set play work and corners demand that he be in the starting 11, this leaves Rusty on the bench for my money.A final word on Roeder, the man has simply transformed the side, and the team that looked such a shambles under Grant in his last games seems a distant memory. Playoffs are now a distinct possibility in my view.OTBC

right on BC man - this pairing gave the best midfield performance we''ve seen this season - nudging risty and brellier in the derby match.most impressed with matty patty. agree everything you said about him - he''s a real find at this level, and given his age, he should improve.  could easily be prem standard within 2 years as he strengthens imo

Unless Pattison or Fotheringham are injured I would expect to see Russell on the bench on Saturday.  Also looking forward to seeing a better televised performance than the QPR fiasco.

I think Matty P, Fozzy and Rusty have all done well over the last few games, it''s refreshing to have some proper competition for starting places now in central midfield, you can probably include Jimmy Smith in that group, I think there is more to come from JS now that he is getting his match fitness back.

It was unheard of this time last year to be complimenting the midfield partnership. It was very good on Saturday. Some lovely play and as has been said, some great tackles and blocks. Also to see them moving forwards as well as defending was highly encouraging.

At last we have a manager who places high regard on the midfield. Football is back.