Sign in to follow this  
gissing canary

What has annoyed me about the criteria for a new manager...

When we were looking last year, many of us, me included wanted a young up and coming manager, after Worthy many on here wanted a passionate direct manager, like Adie Boothroyd and many others.  Much of the views on this board were along these lines.

Worthy wasnt vocal, and so we wanted something different. 

Now we want something different after this did not work at all - we want a calm older statesman type character, someone who is knowledgable and organised.

None of this I have a problem with, I feel the same, however what annoys me, is that people are blaming the board for it, most of us thought the same!!

The board have made countless errors, however though we may not have been excited by Grant - most wanted Bowen, we did want a young manager!  We cant blame the board for everything.

[quote user="gissing canary"]

When we were looking last year, many of us, me included wanted a young up and coming manager, after Worthy many on here wanted a passionate direct manager, like Adie Boothroyd and many others.  Much of the views on this board were along these lines.

Worthy wasnt vocal, and so we wanted something different. 

Now we want something different after this did not work at all - we want a calm older statesman type character, someone who is knowledgable and organised.

None of this I have a problem with, I feel the same, however what annoys me, is that people are blaming the board for it, most of us thought the same!!

The board have made countless errors, however though we may not have been excited by Grant - most wanted Bowen, we did want a young manager!  We cant blame the board for everything.

[/quote]

I think alot of people thought PG was a cheap option along with Worthy when we got him from blackpool. Many people like Bowen for the work hes done with Hughes but again i think he would of been a cheap option. We really must show ambition in this signing as a inexperienced manager clearly cannot motivate these players. I like Jewell but i thinks hes waiting for a prem job. Ince is good but hes on to something good at MK and i doubt hewould leave them at the moment so its likely to be a Duffy in house signing or a Royale type old head.

I think its a bit of a simplification to say "we wanted a younger, direct manager". Yes i think the consensus at the time was that most wanted that sort of manager-but not a coach who had never managed before! Maybe if we use this logic we should find our "older, calm, experienced manager" by trawling the local leagues and find someone who`s 50+ and been a manager for at least 15 years?

Our board see it as too much of a risk to recruit proven, quality managers or players because of the finances involved. Therefore they opt for the cheap unproven option every time, which is of course itself a massive risk as this approach is clearly failing and endangering the future of the club. False economy of the most obvious and basic kind.

Now the question is do we want to push the board to adopt the former approach or keep making excuses for them failing with the latter?

You''re right gissing, and one thing''s for sure - whoever is appointed will be rubbish. Maybe it''ll take a few games or he might get a lucky promotion, but he WILL be rubbish eventually. I just thought I''d put my "told you so" marker down early.

It''s because the grass is always greener on the other side. You actually can''t blame the fans for this. The alternative is to accept the disappointment and non acievement. Some of the critcisms don''t always make sense but it''s born out of frustration of how things are.

The position Norwich are in at the moment is unnacceptable. It would be unnacceptable whatever the style of manager, and whatever the policy of the board. I wish fans would concentrate on that. I am as guilty as most in finding mnistakes I believe have been made that I believe contribute to the position we find ourselves in now.

The bottom line is that if we win football matches not many people look much further than our league position and our next game. Now we are losing matches the manager and board should be looking at our league position and our last game. Continual unnacceptable results and league positions will surely result in continual changes of manager and ultimately a change of board.

I don''t care how old or how vocal the new manager is. I just want flowing, passing (on the deck) and, yes even, attacking football by 11 men being played in their proper positions and who care about the club.

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]I don''t care how old or how vocal the new manager is. I just want flowing, passing (on the deck) and, yes even, attacking football by 11 men being played in their proper positions and who care about the club.[/quote] Well said, Chunky, but it seems we are a long, long way away from that at the moment, whoever steps into the hot seat.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"][quote user="Chunky Norwich"]I don''t care how old or how vocal the new manager is. I just want flowing, passing (on the deck) and, yes even, attacking football by 11 men being played in their proper positions and who care about the club.[/quote] Well said, Chunky, but it seems we are a long, long way away from that at the moment, whoever steps into the hot seat.[/quote]

Frankly at the moment I don''t care how we win games as long as we do it somehow. Although even that seems too much to ask at the moment.

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]Actually Gazza, I wouldn''t mind if the new manager was your dog. I''ve always thought he was a bit of a legend. What''s his name?[/quote] He''s called Nelson and can play a decent game in defence. He isn''t exactly bright, so would not question the board, as long as Doncaster gave him a nice bone and some steak occasionally and Delia wrote a series of cookbooks for him, he''d be happy. What about player/manager?