Sign in to follow this  
Camuldonum

What a dreadful bunch of C*76 you all are

Yes, Camoldonum was the name of Colchester as a Roman town.

Nottingham was formerly Snottigham and Wolverhampton was known in Neandertal times as ''Nuuggghhhhfffth'' which means ''homeland.''

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

Camm...........i agree 100% with you mate, the truth hurts some people. Also as W.O.W. said, we turn up but how do we actually support them?

The volume has gone down 10 notches, we droan out 1 song all game, we grumble from the 1st minute on....no wonder the players aint playing well, they are afraid to make a mistake, make that killer ball as a fear that if it doesnt come off they will get barracked!!

We as fans currently are far too negative.....yes we turn up but we offer the team F all.......cue the "team aint inspiring us comments!" Supporters support at ALL times not when its just rosy.

[/quote]

Exactly.  And that is what I find so surprising.  I''ve probably seen more &*^% games than many - if you have followed the U''s for 50 years you get used to it but I honestly don''t think you should be getting on the backs of your players.  They are obviously on a terrible low - I''ve not seen them this season but my bet is that their confidence is shot to pieces but it''s not going to be improved if they get booed or barracked when they are struggling.  That''s when they need the crowd behind them the most, or so I feel. 

I think Wolves will probably do quite well this season (they are another big club with a big history like yours) but look at this another way: apparently they had 17 corners and 18 shots on goal.  Net result: two goals.  Someone must have been doing *some* defending.  I think it highly likely that the Wolves Manager while very happy with three points and a clean sheet at home will probably be wishing that more had come of those opportunities.

I''ve seen some dire matches in my time (one where we were 4-0 down in 16 minutes which is going some) but the crowd still kept going for what was a pretty awful side and eventually we made it a respectable 4-2. 

I''ve looked at a couple of the Sheffield Wednesday boards (another big club of yesteryear) who are firmly anchored at the bottom of the Championship and there''s not half the mayhem going on there as there is here.  I think the fans should stick behind their team first and foremost and that''s the most important thing for them to do.  Admittedly this may now be an old fashioned view.

Here''s a little story from the past: I began playing for Billericay Town at the age of 15 in what was the first ever Youth Alliance League season comprising eight teams ages 15-18.  We had I think a total of 15 players, most of us around about 15.  Nearly all our opponents had teams of 17/18 year olds. We got slaughtered every week, frequently double figures.   In that first season we conceded over 130 goals.

At the end of the season we had a friendly against a German youth side touring Britain, winners of some youth championship over there.  Three hundred people turned up to watch that game (standing along the lines, behind the goals etc).  None of us had ever played before 50 people before, never mind 300.  They rooted and shouted for us non stop - the effect on our hapless team was phenomenal and we drew 2-2.  Talk to anyone who plays football where there''s a reasonable crowd: I am sure they will tell you it makes a difference if they are urging you on.