Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Why so hard to find a defender?

"I have posted over and over that we need cover at centre back."

You have indeed, nutski nigel.

I''m thinking of making you my understudy.....

And every other posters [:D] 

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]

[quote user="Smudger"]The reason is quite simple really... we don''t have two brass pennies to rub together!!![/quote]

That''s where you''re wrong though Smudge, we do have the Brass Pennies, however good quality centre backs are going for Gold Doubloons...

There''s no way that the likes of Thomas are worth £1 million, and if a player of his ability level can command this sort of fee, then getting defenders of a superior nature to Doc and Shacks are likely to be valued at over £2-3 million.

Then, even if we have the cash - who is genuinely available of this ability level to sign? IMHO, Davenport isn''t up to that standard of fee, neither is Sodje, and aside from looking at possible foreign imports such as Gravgaard, we''re really struggling for geniune options.

We do need extra cover, this is something pretty much 99% of the fans agree on, however where I (and some others) disagree, is the view that top class defenders are simply ''two a penny'', and that the board/manager are badly failing because they haven''t signed anyone. Grant seems very aware of the need to get someone in, the problem is a lack of genuinely good options.

We also seem to be forgetting that Worthington was slated for not giving our youth players a chance, yet we appear very quick to discount the likes of Spillane, Halliday and Rossi Jarvis as defensive cover options. Spillane in particular has been impressive on international duty and on the couple of games he''s played for us, and surely represents as good an option as paying out millions for very average players?

Personally, I''d be happy to see a defender brought in on loan, but a fair chance given to our younger players as priority over this.

[/quote]

No, No, No, No......this is not fair[:@] Smudger has said something I agree with & you''ve made some sense of it Indy_bones.

The end of the World must be near [:(]

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

Having seen the goals southampton conceded against Crystal Palace on the opening day of the season I can entirely understand why they signed Wayne Thomes.  They were a total shambles.

George Burley recognised a problem area and within the week has signed a player he thinks will help shore up the defense this season.

Its a shame that it has taken two years of weakness in the centre back positions and still no player has been signed to help shore up this problem.  In fact Dion Dublin has been the most assured player at the back and like the Doc he was signed as a striker.

[/quote]

Southampton are in real trouble, and before anyone says anything, I mean real trouble, they spent too much and have sold Cranie, Baird and Bale (thats 3 premeirship defenders!).  The reason they spanked 1mill on the nearest thing going was because I think everyone down there was panicking!  they needed something and quick.  Top centre backs are hard to come by, no doubt, but you can get good ones for not too much.  You just need to scout well, have some time to do this, and a decent little amount of money, around a mill.  I hate bringing up examples, as random players dont prove a trend - but big sam got Tal Ben Haim for 500k, and he is immense!  It takes time, but they are out there, Fleming, Malky, Matt Jackson, all not huge names, or crazy money.  They are there to be got, not that rare, but the reason we have seen stupid money for average players is desperation!  

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="a1canary"]The saints match report says the following about their new central defensive signing Wayne Thomas:"Saints were stronger and sharper with new £1m signing Wayne Thomas adding a commanding presence to the back line as well as height and strength and pace. He was the voice the team have lacked, organising and cajoling and proving an intimidating presence in a strong spine to the side."This is exactly what we need. A voice at the back that the team lack. Why couldn''t we have got him? This shows it doesn''t have to be so hard to find someone. Sort it Peter.[/quote]

I spoke to Neil Doncaster about this on Saturday, we are looking for a Right sided Central Defender. Davenport is Left Sided so we wont be getting him. he told me Ryan shawcross parents wanted him to join Stoke as its nearer to Manchester, we almost had him!

jas :)

[/quote]Sounds like he was having you on Jas since we have secured the left sided Murray...