Sign in to follow this  
Shack Attack

FAO Sheded

Knowing that you''re a big fan of Cloughie, I was wondering whether you''ve read The Damned United by David Peace. If you''ve not heard of it, it''s an account of his 44 days in charge of Leeds and mixes what we know from reported events with the writers own thoughts on what was going through Cloughie''s head.

I''ve just finished reading it and found it thoroughly enjoyable. I never realised that the brash persona that we saw on the television hid such a fragile personality, racked with self doubt.

P.S. Despite the title of the thread I would recommend the book to anyone!

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

Knowing that you''re a big fan of Cloughie, I was wondering whether you''ve read The Damned United by David Peace. If you''ve not heard of it, it''s an account of his 44 days in charge of Leeds and mixes what we know from reported events with the writers own thoughts on what was going through Cloughie''s head.

I''ve just finished reading it and found it thoroughly enjoyable. I never realised that the brash persona that we saw on the television hid such a fragile personality, racked with self doubt.

P.S. Despite the title of the thread I would recommend the book to anyone!

[/quote]

Thanks Shack !   thats one I haven`t read ....  on order  as of now ,   a very complex man was Clough  !   

Have you read  one of his autobiographies , " Walking on water "  ,  " Clough , a biography "   , " Life of Brian "  ,   or " provided you don`t kiss me "  , by  Duncan Hamilton  , among others .....   ol` big head  was a true one off ,   he had a knack  of cutting right through   the bullshit  !   only one boss at Forest  .... even the board   did what they were told , LOL   ...

Sadly ,    I can`t see any  way that a present day manager   could get anywhere near   the success rate that he had  !   we now have  ... agents !   ...  and  the  " bigheads " are now the players !   overpaid  , under talented  ,  gits !     [:''(]     playboys who can`t even be arsed to learn  the trade   , spend more  time at the hair dressers  than on the field practicing  ,  the few players who DO   try to earn  their wages  , stand out like pearls in pigshit   ...........[U]

I''m no fan of Forest, but its impossible to deny the genius of Cloughie. What he acheived with them was incredible, never to be repeated imo. Loved it when he gave a few pitch invaders a ding on the lug too! [:D]

Heard a story about Cloughie while watching cricket the other day.Apparently when he won the Division One Trophy he went to his local cricket ground and sat in an empty part of the ground all day - cuddling the trophy!He was that overwhelmed by it all.

[quote user="Herb"]I''m no fan of Forest, but its impossible to deny the genius of Cloughie.
What he acheived with them was incredible, never to be repeated imo.
Loved it when he gave a few pitch invaders a ding on the lug too! [:D]
[/quote]

Ha ha; I remember at the time somebody wrote that really was a case of the sh*t hitting the fan!! Chortle.