Sign in to follow this  
Master J-Do Pur

Crazy optimism

i know this is going to be be thrown in my face but do you think the injury to earnshaw is going to be a blessing in disguise. West Brom let him go because he is not an all round team player.Yes he is good at making chances for himself but he doesn''t hold the ball up or lay others off which is maybe why others have failed to score. Now with a Brown/Martin combo upfront it may give others, Hucks/Etuhu/Croft, time to support the forwards. Whenever i have seen Earnshaw pick a ball up he puts his head down and runs. I just have this feeling that the team dynamic may very well change with earnshaw out of the team and others may begin to chip in once again.

Ps. I am not saying Earnshaw is a bad player, he is one of our best, just saying i feel we may change our style to the better.

Anyone agree?

I can see where you are coming from Master, but I don''t agree. Much of what you say about Earnshaw is the same as criticisms other posters make of Huckerby, and I don''t agree with them either.

I believe we are extremely lucky to have two players of this calibre playing for us and that we should build our team around THEM.

I can understand your opinion NN but the problem is that if you base a team around a player who doesn''t pass you could have a seriuos problem. I believe we would have worked better with 2 upfront so one person who could do the linking up and earnshaw can then be free to play his own game. Just feel people overlooked his overall gameplay. Van Nistelrooy scored a hatful of goals for united but his teamplay was awful, now they have got rid of them i dont see it as a suprise they are playing far better again.

I believe in playing an attacking 442 with Earnshaw and Brown/Dublin up top and Huckerby/Croft/Chadwick sharing the wide positions in MF. I know that will leave our defence exposed at times but my philosophy is that you have to score goals to win games. I want us to be a team that takes the initiative in games and makes opponents worry about us. We got to a playoff final playing 442 with Rivers and Easton wide so it CAN work!

The comparison with Van Nistelrooy is a good one in as much as Van Nistelrooy was awesome for Man. Utd for the first few seasons, scoring goals to win them the premiership and there''s no doubt his time there was succesfull in the main. Obviously he fell out with Fergie or the club or his team mates and a move was neccesary for all concerned. I think we have players with problems like that at our club now, but I don''t think Earnie is one of them.

good post from WOTB:

"ha ha. Goreham on the waghorn site:

"The Canaries are no longer seen as big boys fresh from the Premiership. Like it or not, we''re regarded in the same footballing envelope as Leicester City, Plymouth or Luton. Try as you might, it''s difficult to argue that the perception should be any different.

It doesn''t quite add up. Players like Darren Huckerby, Dion Dublin, Lee Croft, and Adam Drury would surely walk into most other Championship teams..."

Eh? No they wouldn''t! Dublin is 37 and not good enough for Leicester, Hucks is on the decline, Croft has been a fringe player for a mid-table prem club and Drury is an average chump league full-back.

If those really are our ''stars'' then it''s hardly surprising we are where we are, frankly. Something Goreham must have realised as he was typing, surely...."

You can feel smug if you want to. You obviously put our upturn in fortunes down to Earnies injury. Others may feel it''s more down to the transfer window.

Using your logic we certainly won''t need to renew Dublins contract.

And since this thread I now believe Huckerby''s best position is up front. So if everyone was fit it would leave us with Hucks, Earnshaw, Brown, Dublin, and Martin which certainly looks stronger than what we had before.