Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Us fans have got you sussed nutty nigel

[quote user="canary cherub formerly mysti. . . oh never mind "]

I thought it was terrific, much better than my own mundane effort which was about hoofball.  Someone else on here (perhaps it was king?) drew attention to your post count and I was amazed to note that you didn''t join the board until nearly a year after me.  The date showed that you joined not long before Worthy was sacked, and given your username I was curious.  That''s all.  It''s a slow day.

[/quote]

I read this board for many years before I joined. I honestly thought I would struggle to keep up. Writing was never anything I did apart from on betting slips.[;)] I always had opinions just was never sure I could write them down. Arrdee used to tell me he was the same. He read these boards for ages before he posted. We used to laugh about it!

As for my post count, well my life is like that. When I start something I stick at it. Trouble is I have far too many things in my life to stick at. But I''m not one for watching TV so I just about manage to stick at them all. The one plus I have is that I can''t remember ever being bored in my life!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

The Reading thread was about football, the position we are in and the comfort I can draw from the stats. We both know they mean nothing but I did seriously wonder what you made of them. We got all those home points off the top 6 on merit. We got good reults at Brum and Wolves on merit too. Our problem has been in matches against the bottom 6 like taking only 1 point from 6 against Southampton. That''s why right now I am even more worried about the Charlton game than the Reading game but I shall forever look for reasons to be cheerful.

[/quote]

I agree with you about the stats, our results against the top clubs tend to be better than against those lower down.  But what really strikes me is how very mediocre the Championship has been this year, which makes our poor showing all the more frustrating.  None of the current top six have really impressed anyone, and imo next season could be the first time that the same three come straight back down unless they spend big. 

My original point was that I''m not as optimistic about the Reading game as I was.  Before last night that I was reasonably confident especially given their inability to find the back of the net of late, and they''re not a particularly big side so Lee & Co could cause problems.  What I took from the commentary on the Scum game was that when we gave them the opportunity to pass it, especially long crossfield passes, we were floundering a bit.  If Reading do that as we know they can we could be in trouble.  Our midfield will be key imo, we need to stop them playing.  I still think a point is on the cards but three is what we really need and it''s a tough ask. 

I have never been convinced we would go down, and even at this late stage I simply haven''t a clue.  I haven''t even got an instinct for it and whenever anyone asks me directly I just say "too close to call".  If you put a gun to my head I''d say we''ll stay up on GD but that could be wishful thinking.

I''m not sure I''d use the word mediocre but it is very close. Steve Coppell pointed this out a few weeks ago when he said there was very little between the top and bottom teams. He was making the point that in a league like this wrong refereeing decisions do make a difference, as we know to our cost. But give me this anyday over a Premier League where you know the top four before the season starts and the gulf is so big no amount of poor refereeing decisions or any other factors can affect it.