Sign in to follow this  
elppits

Fannys Flicks and Farts

Thats how Worthy described our players in the last 30 minutes and he was spot on.

All Worthy wanted was them to close out the match but instead the players tried to get more goals and gave way possession and chances to Southend.

Even Neil Adams commented that all the team had to do was slow the game down and pass it around.

Its ok to go out and try to finish the opposition off in games but if you are to fancy and sloppy you always stand the risk of giving them a way back into the game.

You are quite right Elppits.

Listening to Canary call, one supporter felt that pressing the game at 3-1 was the right thing to do. He suggested that anything alse was negative.

What needs to be understood is that containment and sitting back are two very different things. Containment is about ball retention and tempo. We should be able to do this without feeling the need to press or sit back. This is what ''killing a game off'' is. It doesn''t involve being overly negative or positive.

New song for next match!

''flick, fart and fanny, we must n''t flick, fart and fanny, flick, fart and fanny, we must n''t flick, fart and fanny!''

It''s usually Hucks who gets the blame for that sort of thing (and to be fair, he has been guilty on occasion).  Interesting though that we fell into the same trap even though he wasn''t playing.  I didn''t expect that.  I was more concerned that we''d invite them on by sitting back too far.

i disagree. the game was lost due to the fact that we had no one up front with Earnie when we needed them. for the last 1/4 of the quarter every clearance when straight back to Southend to launch another attack.

Worthy needs to look closer to home. The Hendo substitution was the main factor.

[quote user="Rustyboy"]

New song for next match!

[/quote]

Ha! Ha!  I was very depressed last night, but this has cheered me up.  Would love to have heard Worthy say this.  Must have been a difficult one to get his tongue around in the post-match interview!