Sign in to follow this  
ManchesterCanary

Poor Championship Football

I agree with some of the recent sub-posts that the Arsenal performance against Juventus was wonderful to watch. The running on and off the ball and the skill at pitch level was almost perfection. Seldom was the ball in the air. Sadly we are light years from that. Its hoof-ball, head tennis and near panic when someone gets the ball to feet. Our skill level from keeper to striker is very poor, which must raise serious questions of our coaching staff. The overall quality of football in this division bar a couple of teams (hurts me to say it but Ipswich is one of them) is dire, and it is very worrying if we are to remain in this division for long...the football each week would be excrutiating to watch and gates would plummet. However, there is an upside to this as I am convinced with our resources a good manager would get us out of the Championship relatively easily (look how Reading have absolutely walked it). I am not saying we can be like Arsenal but there is no reason we cannot play exciting skilful football and be a regular premiership ''small club'' like Charlton, Fulham, Blackburn or Pompey. Sure they struggle sometimes, but some also flirt with Europe and more importantly play some decent football. I think the root of the supporters discontent this season is not so much the realisation we are not going up, its the fact that the quality of the football they have to watch each week is so bad.  

Sadly we could have been Arsenal.  We used to play in that style and it wasn''t exactly light years ago....I agree with you that the skill level on show this season has been shocking in some cases and I do wonder how some of those in a yellow shirt have managed to secure a contract.  Worthington always harps on about passing the ball, but it''s just empty words.  The whole footballing philosophy of the man is light years away from the football NCFC are famous for, especially amongst footballing supporters from other clubs.  Worthington professes to want to play passing football but he''s not getting his team to do it. Why?  If they are not good enough, why not, he bought them.  If they can''t do simple stuff they shouldn''t be professionals.  His tactics and man management are something else, but someone with UEFA coaching badges should be able to get 10 outfield players to pass the ball to their team mates, coach them to get into space and most of all be able to receive the ball and keep it, look up and find a team mate to pass to.  This is not happening and Worthington has only himself and his coaches to blame.  His players, his tactics. 

I shall await the excuses for a failed promotion campaign at the end of the season.  No doubt they are working on them at the moment. 

i agree. People last year were saying how much better Championship was, but thats not the case. The premiership gets so much coverage also because of the quality of football

[quote user="ManchesterCanary"]I agree with some of the recent sub-posts that the Arsenal performance against Juventus was wonderful to watch. The running on and off the ball and the skill at pitch level was almost perfection. Seldom was the ball in the air. Sadly we are light years from that. Its hoof-ball, head tennis and near panic when someone gets the ball to feet. Our skill level from keeper to striker is very poor, which must raise serious questions of our coaching staff. The overall quality of football in this division bar a couple of teams (hurts me to say it but Ipswich is one of them) is dire, and it is very worrying if we are to remain in this division for long...the football each week would be excrutiating to watch and gates would plummet. However, there is an upside to this as I am convinced with our resources a good manager would get us out of the Championship relatively easily (look how Reading have absolutely walked it). I am not saying we can be like Arsenal but there is no reason we cannot play exciting skilful football and be a regular premiership ''small club'' like Charlton, Fulham, Blackburn or Pompey. Sure they struggle sometimes, but some also flirt with Europe and more importantly play some decent football. I think the root of the supporters discontent this season is not so much the realisation we are not going up, its the fact that the quality of the football they have to watch each week is so bad.  [/quote]

sorry...have to watch? Is someone actually forcing you to watch Norwich play?

[quote user="NimChimpskee"]

[quote user="ManchesterCanary"]I agree with some of the recent sub-posts that the Arsenal performance against Juventus was wonderful to watch. The running on and off the ball and the skill at pitch level was almost perfection. Seldom was the ball in the air. Sadly we are light years from that. Its hoof-ball, head tennis and near panic when someone gets the ball to feet. Our skill level from keeper to striker is very poor, which must raise serious questions of our coaching staff. The overall quality of football in this division bar a couple of teams (hurts me to say it but Ipswich is one of them) is dire, and it is very worrying if we are to remain in this division for long...the football each week would be excrutiating to watch and gates would plummet. However, there is an upside to this as I am convinced with our resources a good manager would get us out of the Championship relatively easily (look how Reading have absolutely walked it). I am not saying we can be like Arsenal but there is no reason we cannot play exciting skilful football and be a regular premiership ''small club'' like Charlton, Fulham, Blackburn or Pompey. Sure they struggle sometimes, but some also flirt with Europe and more importantly play some decent football. I think the root of the supporters discontent this season is not so much the realisation we are not going up, its the fact that the quality of the football they have to watch each week is so bad.  [/quote]

sorry...have to watch? Is someone actually forcing you to watch Norwich play?

[/quote]

I am a city fan so I go watch us play!!! I endured Brian Hamilton''s reign and now I am enduruing the last legs of Nigel Worthington''s increasingly forlorn tenure of what is now excrutiating hoofball as a manager whom has run his course fails to get the best out of his players!!  I endured Bruce Rioch''s tenure when he, looking back, performed miracles with an Awful and totally broke side.

spot on manchester.as for your comment chimp i don''t think manchester meant what you implied, but even if he did it would be a legitimate observation.- many are finding watching city a chore this season given the quality of the hoofball served up each week