Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Play off final…..this will never happen again

Thinking of todays play final. I seem to recall when we played Birmingham and lost, they had a gentleman’s agreement that the loser would get all the gate money. They agreed the winner would be financially anyway on getting promotion.

can you ever imagine this happening these days, all far to greedy………

9 minutes ago, Bradwell canary said:

Thinking of todays play final. I seem to recall when we played Birmingham and lost, they had a gentleman’s agreement that the loser would get all the gate money. They agreed the winner would be financially anyway on getting promotion.

can you ever imagine this happening these days, all far to greedy………

It very much still happens, every year. 

There does have to be a loser tomorrow and Forest or Huddersfield will be left with very little to show for their brilliant, resurgent campaigns. A gentleman’s agreement traditionally sees the winning club in a Championship play-off final hand over their share of the gate receipts to their beaten opponent, which this year is expected to be in the region of £2 million.

Huddersfield went one further than that five years ago, though.

Owner Dean Hoyle, back in charge of his boyhood club, has previously revealed that £4 million was given to Reading following their penalty shootout, settled when defender Christopher Schindler knocked the ball past goalkeeper Ali Al-Habsi, because an agreement had been struck between the two clubs in advance of the final that would see a consolation prize created.

Well I stand corrected. I’ve heard nothing about this in recent play off games.

I think Branston  is right, ,just don’t hear about it these days

• Like 1