Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

The Premier League - Food for Thought

Watching Match Of The Day it looks like most bottom 14 teams in that league play kick and rush football with teams full of 6ft plus athletes and one or two superstar 30m+ attackers who are devastating on the counter attack. I was watching West Ham v Spurs the other day and West ham looked just as agricultural as when under Allardyce. Aside from Bournemouth and Leicester they all seem to play the same way. Camp in their own half all game and run/dribble to ball on the counter, very little short or square passing, any quality passes are longer, there's a huge emphasis on set pieces, crosses and individual strikes from range. 

Seriously, watch some PL football coming up, not featuring the big teams. They all play like Allardyce teams but with one or two superb, pacy, attackers with excellent dribbling skills to create all their chances that mask how basic and negative their playing styles are.

What worries me is I can see us playing most teams off the park next year, only to consistently get done on the counter or from a corner against the run of play. Many repeats of the Stoke home game basically. That's the most gutting and frustrating way to get beaten imo. I don't mind getting outplayed. Being suckerpunched is hard to take. I hope my worries are unfounded!

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

Reading that article, it could just as well have been a description of how we have played, with the exception that we don't immediately foul the opposition if we lose the ball - Buendia just niks it back off of you instead.

• Like 1