Sign in to follow this  
stewfil

Wigan in advanced takeover talks

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Funny, I work quite a lot with a Wigan supporter. He’s in his forties and has seen their rises and falls over many years. He takes a Ricardo-esque view of things - they’re a small north-western club with gates of somewhere in the region of 15,000. Top of League 1/bottom half of the Championship is their “natural” level. But younger supporters, in their 20s, have an entitled view of them as a Premier League team and believe they should be spending millions on transfers, when they clearly no longer have. And they had/have an owner worth about £200 million, not Delia’s £20-30.[/quote]

Ten years in the top flight and winning an FA Cup probably a consequence of that extra investment.... and the yoof expectations.

Personally if you do not have expectations for your club... you follow rugby

Wigan''s natural level is more like bottom half of league 1, top half of league 2 to be honest. They only got into the football league in 1978 and its predominantly a rugby league town.

They''ve done remarkably well really thanks to Whelan.

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]Well, there you go Jim.

You’ve demonstrated my point perfectly. You take the newspaper article as gospel and treat anything said subsequently with suspicion.

That’s because one nestles beautifully with your own feelings on the issue and the other is at odds with it. 👍[/quote]

I look at the context in which the comments were made Duncan.

The Times article (arranged by them) was clearly a relaxed, all encompassing chat in comfortable surroundings and i''m afraid Delia gave the game away. The journalist wasn''t trying to trip her up, he was lauding her when he wrote that piece.

The latter statements were made at formal club occasions and with the benefit of having witnessed the bad reaction from fans to the Times interview and yet they still did not really deny what Delia said or argue that she was misquoted, they have again chosen their words very carefully.

You are just as entitled to believe their subsequent utterances if you choose to do so. Each to their own. I feel though that you are probably in a minority amongst our fan base now.