Sign in to follow this  
King Klose

Boro's cringey "#believe"

Big Jim and other statisticians.....

Don''t want to get embroiled in things like catchment area populations, but there is one simple reason why we only get 6,000 average attendance more than you. The ground won''t hold any more. We have a 97% attendance versus capacity and the variations are due to how many away supporters turn up.....We have 20,000 season ticket holders with a sizeable waiting list.

There was talk a few years back about increasing the capacity to 35k, but club decided money should be spent on players first.

Here''s to a great day for all at Wembley.....

The good people of Norfolk. Having spent a summer season working at Vauxhall Holiday Park at Yarmouth in the late 70''s I made many good friends in your part of the world and found the vast majority to be a really nice bunch so I''m rather surprised at all the bad feeling towards a part of the world were there is no real rivalry.

Things have not been helped by the Boro posts which are clearly from a bunch of 11 year olds who''ve got access to theirs dad''s cider and computer !They are best to be ignored and do not represent the the average Boro fan.

Now attendances are a bit of a thing for me as we have recently got a lot of stick about it. You are correct in the assumptions that our crowds over the last few years have been very poor, this situation is somewhat compounded by the fact that we build a 30,000 seater stadium, filled it and extended to 35,000 when we had our heady days of cup finals, Europe and all those expensive foreign signings. I''ve regularly looked out to almost 20,000 empty seats this season..not a pretty site.

However we are on the whole a well support club. Like Norwich we are not a BIG club and on draw our support from the local population. To that end I can''t see the point in looking at district, urban, catchment areas because most come from the main town/City.

Norwich have averaged over 24,000 pretty much for the last 10 seasons but before that you have to go back to 1977 before your season average broke the 20,000 barrier, attendances go up and down and we all have fair weather supporters, Norwich averaged 13,800 in 1992 and you were in the top division.

To make a true case I prefer (I would) to look back in the time I have been going full time which is over 40 years. Boro''s average per year over that period has been 29,000, Norwich is 20,000. The city of Norwich has a population of 213,000 or the smaller Norwich City council area is 132,000 according to the 2011 census, Middlesbrough has £140,000.

The only other stat worth considering when trying to analysis this is unemployment rates and the ability of the population to actually afford to go along, got bored looking for this but Middlesbrough is well known as having the highest employment rate in the country for some time.

Anyway, if you are still reading this then well done, Boro get good support on the whole but it has fell away drastically over the last 5 years, if we go up it will increase but I think we''ll struggle to fill our stadium except for the big games. If you guys go up I can''t believe you won''t invest in increasing the capacity of your stadium, just be careful you don''t make it too big like we did !

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-grainger-new-boro-video-9310650

The latest instalment. Because I know you guys love it so much

Remember we''re not taking ourselves to seriously in it

Uwe