Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Any more strikers?

I am becoming a little concerned at the emphasis of Adams on attackers.

I can understand it if there is anything in the interest in Visca. At the moment we have only Josh as a natural left winger and, quite apart from needing cover there, Josh is still young and needing development.

The number of strikers who have interested the manager is strange. Is he trying to corner the market in competent strikers? Today there is talk of a bid for Deeney, to add to the signing of Grabban and Lafferty, and even talk of McCormack. I find all this a little odd, unless he has already decided the futures of Becchio, Hooper and RvW. Surely we don''t need six, with also Loza in reserve?

I hope that he has given thought to defenders, because our defensive record last year was not good, especially considering that we had a manager who was a former defender himself and who had a reputation for being defensive. The interest in Olsson seems to be mounting. The CEO has said repeatedly that we do not have to sign, but in the end if Olsson desperately wants to move...?

Makes a welcome change from the attitude of Chris ''no room for strikers in the modern game'''' Hughton.

Pile ''em high says I. It''s a long hard season in that there Championship league.   

Ignore all the rumours - I believe the Deeney one comes from a Twitter ''in the know'' account, which makes it most likely nothing. The McCormack rumour came from Fulham making a bid for him and some people assuming it was Norwich because we''ve signed players from Leeds before.

I''m pretty sure the plan is to move RVW out of the club ASAP while they want to retain Hooper. However, they have to take into consideration the fact that someone may jump in for Gary and Norwich will have to sell if the player pushes for it, in that case they need other options and identifying new targets is only sensible. I also think Becchio will be off - he made a rather sarcastic tweet about Adams after the Chelsea game and has barely kicked a ball for 18 months.

Don''t confuse the first transfers with the ones that are the highest priority - some happen sooner than others just because of the ease of completion. Grabban was done early as he had a clause in his contract and a few other clubs had made bids so Norwich had to act fast. Lafferty was put up for sale and I imagine the deal was pretty simple to sort out. Getting in other players, ones their clubs may not be keen on selling, willl always take longer and happen deeper into the window. Players around the country are returning to training today and there will be plenty of discussions going on about who is/or isn''t needed and who does/doesn''t want to stay. Things will speed up considerably from now on.