Sign in to follow this  
In Dubious Battle

Pub argument

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="Foghorn"]Yankee, both Monty Norman and Barry bridges were great, but don''t qualify - the OP said "can''t be before the 80s".[/quote]

Thanks Foghorn. I knew that, of course, but seeing as others changed the rules by listing others that did not come through the Norwich youth system I took the liberty of also bending the rules.

[/quote]

Yes, but since when have the faults of others justified breaking the rules ourselves? What kind of life-lesson is that for any impressionable children who might be reading this message-board?In any event Barry Bridges was disqualified on two counts. He was really quite a long way before the 1980s (he had retired several years before the decade started) and he didn''t come through our youth system. If he was to be allowable then so would be Bill Edrich.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="Foghorn"]Yankee, both Monty Norman and Barry bridges were great, but don''t qualify - the OP said "can''t be before the 80s".[/quote]

Thanks Foghorn. I knew that, of course, but seeing as others changed the rules by listing others that did not come through the Norwich youth system I took the liberty of also bending the rules.

[/quote]

Yes, but since when have the faults of others justified breaking the rules ourselves? What kind of life-lesson is that for any impressionable children who might be reading this message-board?

In any event Barry Bridges was disqualified on two counts. He was really quite a long way before the 1980s (he had retired several years before the decade started) and he didn''t come through our youth system. If he was to be allowable then so would be Bill Edrich.

[/quote]

Anyone who disqualifies a local patriot who played for Norwich Boys against Ipswich Boys brings his own character into question ( Cameldonum anyone? ). It''s simply not cricket.