Sign in to follow this  
the pigman

Championship squad.

Lets not forget where most of these players came from,I think we have a very good championship squad.We can not afford a very good prem squad,most teams in prem have better squads so our lads have put in a great shift so far but now the season is taking its toll with afew players flagging at the same time which means it is down to the manager and coaches to get a grip of things,resting players does not seem to have much effect when the ones coming in are not really doing it.I think trips to Spain,Giggs goal,loosing toLeicester have now hit hard where in the past we bounced back,it is now a mountain to climb when it was just a small Norfolk hill in the past and I hope we have a few mountain climbers in the squad or we will fizzel out to a struggle for the rest of the season.Who will have the bottle and extra stamina for the battle I think we all know who will and will not,I know for 1 if I was going up that mountain Mr Holt is the man who would lead me and Morow would be at base camp moaning he was not going,I could go on but you will have your own opinions .

My opinion is that people are over reacting, now exactly sure how we are "struggling", ran United very close and played them off the park at times, narrowly lost at Stoke and Newcastle and the only poor performance was against Wigan who are playing for their lives and they also battered WBA the other day who are in good form. Our squad isn''t a championship quality squad, its a Premiership quality squad, hence why we are still competing for a top half finish and we have a lot of strength in depth, just look at our bench at Newcastle, Holt, Hoolahan, Jackson, Johnson etc

We have very good championship players who are plying their trade in the premiership and holding their own. They have improved and still need to improve which is what they will do with better players coming in.On paper some are still very inexperienced at this level but are proving their worth as our squad has got us into this position. In regard to strength in depth we have players but I would not say we have strength in some areas. To add genuine width we have Pilky and EB, to change the game from the becnh we have Hoolahan and Howson, to add a striker who is in good form Jackson who has not set the world alight.We have a team who has excelled but def. in the summer we will pick up some starters and a number of players on the fringes will remain on the fringes and some starters will become fringe players. That is what happens.Still think Stuart Holden, Matt Phillips, Kyle Naughton, Jussi Jaaskailinen and a striker (possibly David Nugent) would be great buys and investments. Again I am just putting names up for discussion, as we struggled to name players in January that could fill some of the spots we needed filling. I actually would like to see another wide player in the summer added to that list but I also think there is alot of money in those players listed. As always January is there, but we do need some key positions filled this summerI think we need a spare keeper who can be with us for two seasons until Rudd is of an age to then challenge Ruddy for the number 1 spot. Jussi is just one keeper I would look at if Bolton go down. I say Nugent as he may have the spark we need in a forward who may have that desire for premiership football once more.But Holden, Phillips and Naughton would be three players I would keen to see in the yellow and green perm. Pacheco and Lansbury I think are unlikely, Snodgrass also I now feel is out of our price range. But then again is his contract up this summer? Thought there was something like that.