Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Thoughts on Wycombe

An enjoyable day yesterday and in the end a very important win. Its now for Charlton to knock us off that second placed perch and I suspect their fans were gutted when nes of our goal came through yesterday. In the end it could easily have been five or six were it not for a magnificent display from their keeper although I still do not think we are entirely convincing in all areas. A few thoughts:

1. We will not get away with that central defensive pairing for the rest of the season and finish in the top two. I don''t know how long Askou is out for but every game we play Nelson is a risk as far as i''m concerned and if Lambert has one key aim for January then I really hope its to find a centre back who is comfortable defending on the floor as well as in the air. There were moment in the first half yesterday when Nelson had the ball that were frankly excruciating to watch. In mitigation I accept that we have kept 4 clean sheets in the last 5 games he has started and he is no doubt ok for games such as Exeter at home on saturday but when we play away against any team with pace up front I am sure we will get punished.

2. Thought first half in general we were sloppy and the midfield were all poor. Korey and Russell seemed to be playing on top of each other and Lappin was ineffective. Russell got better as the match went on but Lappin was pretty ineffective throughout.

3. Russell Martin looks classy on the ball and is good going forward which is a surprise given what the posh fans said about him.

4. I don''t think Holt is fuilly fit. He''s still a hanful but for me has been slightly short of his best now for 5 or 6 weeks.

5. Wes was outstanding again and at times virtually unplayable. he remains key to our season and it was good to see him looking well chuffed with the win and doing some fist pumping at the end. Did not look like a player who wants to move away from the club which is nice.

6. In terms of traffic and getting away from the ground Wycombe has ot be the worst ground I have experienced. Absolute joke trying to get back to the M40 afterwards.

Hopefully a home banker on saturday now and then a big week coming up with Walsall and Col U away!