Sign in to follow this  
NCFC_Shaun

Todays game - much better.

[quote user="coops"]Very worried if Gunn plays that formation in league 1. Holt on his own upfront must have been thinking what the hell have I joined. Get someone along side him Gunn or your going to waste a goal scorer. Waley o.k for me not great, OTJ not a good game, Hoolahan brilliant, Spillane solid, Otsemobor - best game i''ve seen him play, the rest very average. I don''t think Gunn knows his best team so get ready for chop and change from week to week. Other than that not too bad, but remember league 1 teams are not going to keep the ball down and play like Wigan did today. Hoolahan will get smashed every time he''s on the ball and not sure if we can afford to let him have a free role.[/quote]not too bad? didn''t we just beat a prem team? that formation would work in league one and wes did pretty well at blackpool in the same role in L1...it''s a 4-3-3 which moves into a 4-5-1. perfect formation to play against a decent side. Good away from home too.

This is what worries me.  That you all went to the game but did not actually understand what was happening on the pitch!  Gunn was OBVIOUSLY trying our away formation yesterday.  Against such a strong team it was worth trying our more defensive away from home formation.Quite simply, it was a flexible 4-5-1.When defending it was 4-5-1, when attacking it was a 4-3-3, hence why Martin was wide in defence, and as the second striker on the attack (and he scored from coming central on the attack).Hoolahan was allowed to drift around the fixed midfield four, making him almost impossible to pick up, hence why even a Premiership side struggled to pin him down.So not really rocket science, is it?

Sorry missed the quote - the poster who moaned that Hoolahan was drifting out of position meaning Martin had to cover him - absolute misinterpretation of what was happening on the pitch!  [quote user="Yelverton Yella"][quote user="ref89"]Utter nonsense.  At no point was Hoolahan meant to be there.[/quote]Where?[/quote]