Sign in to follow this  
nycanary

The Performance vs Everton -- Many Thoughts

I have been so depressed today. After getting to watch the lads on TV again (the last few weeks w/o them on the telly have been miserable for those of us located abroad), it was interesting to watch how the team has progressed.

Here''s what I took from it:

a. I have not been a supporter of Leon. But today, he proved me wrong. He was a persistent thorn in Everton''s defence and has the guts, confidence, speed and strength to take people on. I was really impressed. He does need to improve his finishing but I thought he was great.

b. Holt was fabulous today. He has really come on strong -- with marshalling duties and telling people where to go and tackling well as always. It was he, not Francis, who kept the lid on Gravesen. Even tho the Dane was still Everton''s most influential player, it would have been much worse without Holt.

c. Huckerby in left midfield. With Svensson up front, Hux was free to roam and have support up front. Many of you have called for him to play the left side of midfield. After today''s 2nd half, I have to agree.

d. Svensson. I think he''s not going to score a lot of goals but he does have pretty good vision. He does remind me of Eidur Gudhjohnsen -- but not as good. He may not score many but today he put Leon through; and on opening day, he put Hux through. He does have some much needed cleverness and vision for us -- and he''s a better alternative than Doc.

e. Helveg. Awful. Too slow. Tries to be too cute. Back to the bench for you.

f. Jonson. Showing much greater promise than earlier in the season. Getting used to the pace and doesn''t seem to be over-awed as much anymore. Like him on the right.

g. Francis. Disappointing. Strangely, I agree with the commentators about Francis. He lacks confidence. He is a big strong talented lad but he doesn''t put himself about in that manner. I''d like to see him stride forward on the ball with purpose. Go into the tackle with vigor. Shoot with more assuredness. Damo -- you''re a good player....now ACT it.

The first half was horrible. The 2nd half was great and I''m gutted to not get even a deserved point.

So....next week:

Green

Edworthy
Fleming
Charlton
Drury

Jonson
Holt
Francis
Huckerby

Svensson
McKenzie

Subs:
Bentley
McVeigh
Helveg
Ward
Doherty

Next in line for the bench: Safri, Mulryne, Jarvis.

Agree with most of the comments, although disappointed with the result many positive things to come out of the match.  Don´t agree with the comments on Francis, thought he played well today, although he can do better, he has a lot of talent.

I think you are spot on ny about Hucks on the left.  IMO he is so muh more effective running at defenders and coming in from the wing.  He showed it at Newcastle and showed it again yesterday.  We need to find a strike partner for McKenzie though.  Although Sven did wel yesterday, he is not the answer

Why not play Jonson up front alongside McKenzie?

Fit Huckerby on the left and choose one from McVeigh/Bentley/Mulryne/Henderson on the right.

Morph i agree. That''s an interesting idea. Either of the Matt''s upfront alongside Leon with Hux on the left. That way, we could afford to bring back Bentley into the side which I need is also good for us long-term.

Green

Edworthy
Fleming
Charlton
Drury

Bentley
Francis
Holt
Huckerby

Jonson
McKenzie

Could be very interesting.