Sign in to follow this  
KeelansGlove

Canaries World Non Windows

I have been lucky enough to be given a new laptop running ubuntu and was checking out all the websites and plug ins i used before still work and etherything seems fine with the exception of canaries world. Anyone out there found anyway to get content up and running on Linux/Mac ??is there some sort of windows emulator that will get it to work ?Any help appreciated

Unforunetly the live radio and the highlights use microsoft drm which is tricky to handle.I use virtualbox to boot a copy of window XP on my Macbook inside it''s own little window, this should also work on ubuntu.One nice thing I did find is that you don''t need IE after all, I used google chrome and it then starts up the windows media player which is actually I think the important bit for the DRM.It''s something I really hope they sort out soon, even if they insist on DRM there are other DRM''s that work on mac,linux as well as windows.

Keelan, I am not sure of this, and don''t take my word for it as I am not very computer minded, but I believe Canaries World won''t work on Macs. I use a Mac (won''t touch Windows in any shape of form). Luckily I live in Norwich so don''t need CW. I would enquire via the club website for some valid and up to date info. Not sure this will go down too well, but there are some pretty clued up computer people on WOTB. Sorry Pete!

I use a mac each and everyweek to listen via CW, however as I outlined above it entails booting a copy of windowsXP in it''s own window in a virtual environment called virtualbox.If you can install windows on a computer then installing it under virtualbox is no harder than that.It''s a pain though and is CW is the one and only reason why I have winXP at all on my mac.

I asked them about it last year and they said they had no plans to offer the service to macs. I can view most other windows media stuff around the net with flip4mac ( http://tinyurl.com/26ob8g ) and it seems to work well enough for the Canaries World teaser content, although I''ve not taken the plunge to see if it works for audio.