Sign in to follow this  
Canary Ascent

The season: 2001/2002 - The score: 0-4

The opposition: Millwall. Anyone remember this result early on in 2001/2002? Anyone remember how we faired that season?

Just trying to put a little perspective on last night''s result! Were any of you guys there? There was hardly a tackle made. This was a pre season friendly. The objective: match fitness!

I wouldn''t be surprised if the teams were told not to tackle, thus not risking injury.

Can''t believe we were play-off favourites at 7 o''clock on Monday and by 9.30 p.m. we are relegation certainties. Talk about fickle. I saw some very good performances by players in yellow and green last night. I''m optimistic.

Someone talking sense on this Forum... good to see for a change.

Likewise, tackles were very very hard to come by last night apart from the first five to ten minutes, after that play seemed relaxed and easy.

Hoolahan looks to cause trouble when he gets on the ball and Clingan proved me wrong somewhat last night, looked a bit better than I first expected. Roll on Colchester!

I mentioned this earlier, get your own stats! [:P]Seriously though, the level of hysteria isn''t surprising unfortunately, in fact 7Rew and I predicted it more or less as soon as we conceded.Remember the season after, though? We beat Watford, I think it was, 4-0 and ended the season outside the play-offs.  Then the next season we drew 2-2 with Bradford, the third 4 goal opening game in a row... and we know what happened next.  Early results matter very little; friendly results matter not at all.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]I mentioned this earlier, get your own stats! [:P]

Seriously though, the level of hysteria isn''t surprising unfortunately, in fact 7Rew and I predicted it more or less as soon as we conceded.

Remember the season after, though? We beat Watford, I think it was, 4-0 and ended the season outside the play-offs.  Then the next season we drew 2-2 with Bradford, the third 4 goal opening game in a row... and we know what happened next.  Early results matter very little; friendly results matter not at all.
[/quote]

Sorry Evil, I honestly didn''t see your earlier stats! Just can''t believe the huge swing from overly optimistic to hugely pessimistic over one friendly result against a very good Spurs side.

i''m pretty confident about a good season but it may take a few weeks for the team to find some consistency, with so many new players having not played with each other too often it will take time

we can''t expect it all to come together straight away, as a few said above it was a friendly without too many tackles and against a very strong prem side whilst we had a number of players missing and others out of position