Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

Everton now interested in Lewis??

Now being reported in evening news.

http://new.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/Sport/story.aspx?brand=ENOnline&category=Sport&tBrand=ENOnline&tCategory=Sport&itemid=NOED06%20Jun%202008%2014%3A22%3A02%3A030

[quote user="colneycanary"]Roeder should come out and admit his mistake instead of being so quiet about it, Or is he to embaressed about it all?[/quote]I think he''s probably embarrased, who wouldn''t be and I don''t think he''s the type of man, rightly or wrongly to apologies.

I have been told by someone at the club that the sell on fee is around 33% on any profit from a sale and there are excellent add on payments due depending on Peterborough''s success in the future

it could be an excellent deal in the long term, much better than him sitting on the bench until his contract runs out and leaving on Bosman

I can''t see the problem here.  We were never going to get a million plus from Pompey for our 3rd choice keeper, a keeper who had only played in the first team on loan at Morecambe.  Joe was never going to get a game behind Marshall and Gilks.  We sell to them, they get promoted, we get over a million in combined sell-on and transfer fees.

Everyone''s a winner, surely ?

Hindsight makes it look like a poor decision, but the alternative would be Joe out on loan to another league 1 club, or playing Tuesday nights against Stevenage Borough reserves once a month.

[quote user="j slat"]

better than him sitting on the bench until his contract runs out and leaving on Bosman

[/quote]

Surely his contract with NCFC (at the time of his departure) would not have taken him past his 24th birthday?

Thus NCFC would have been entitled to a fee.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

Hindsight makes it look like a poor decision, but the alternative would be Joe out on loan to another league 1 club, or playing Tuesday nights against Stevenage Borough reserves once a month.

[/quote]

Alternative scenario - a loan period at Peterborough may have hid him either competing with Marshall for our no1 jersey or got other clubs asking us for him to be transferred (ie we get 100% not 20 or 33%)

How many of you have seen Joe Lewis play to compare him to Marshall?

I just think that Lewis is proven at League 2 level, two divisions below Norwich. Marshall is proven as one of the best Championship keepers (consistently high in the Actim index) and in the SPL, as well as Champions League with Celtic (penalty save against Ronaldinho I believe).

Both keepers have bags of potential but value should be based on experience at higher levels. I believe Lewis may be worth over a million now but he wasn''t while he was at Norwich because we had a more experienced keeper keeping him out of the side.

Personally i think he''ll stay at Peterborough and get some League 1 experience before his next move.

[quote user="venta icenorum"]

How many of you have seen Joe Lewis play to compare him to Marshall?

I just think that Lewis is proven at League 2 level, two divisions below Norwich. Marshall is proven as one of the best Championship keepers (consistently high in the Actim index) and in the SPL, as well as Champions League with Celtic (penalty save against Ronaldinho I believe).

Both keepers have bags of potential but value should be based on experience at higher levels. I believe Lewis may be worth over a million now but he wasn''t while he was at Norwich because we had a more experienced keeper keeping him out of the side.

Personally i think he''ll stay at Peterborough and get some League 1 experience before his next move.

[/quote]

We spoke to Peterborough today (on behalf of Her Majesty''s Daily Star) and the ever reticent Mr Fry bellowed at my daughter: "EVERYBODY''S after him my girl!"

What he did say was that there has been absolutely no official approach from Everton, no call, nothing.  But he went on and on (as usual) and said that Fergie Snr had seen him have a good game at Wrexham and liked what he saw.   Liverpool have also watched him apparently.

Everton have four keepers at the moment although their teenager has been out on loan to Stockport.  I think Joe needs to play, to be truthful, and I suspect he''ll have another season with Peterborough.  I think he is a very fine player but I think he needs to bulk up a bit if he can because he''ll get knocked about otherwise.

If Posh stick at their valuation of £4m I''d be surprised if Everton would pay that for a player to sit on the Bench at best.  But, as we all know, it''s a funny old game............

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Barry Fry, Stephen Fry.  Is it possible they''re distant relatives ?
[/quote]

Only in a roundabout way in that they are both slightly bonkers but in different areas.

We all love Bazza - wonderful rent-a-quote, always answers your calls.

Whether people have a thing against him or not he''s a wonderful character (my opinion) and it''s very hard not to like or be amused by him.

I like people who are gloriously over the top to which you can add the late Brian Clough: "You can ****  off with that idea YOUNG MAN."

It''s the spice of life to me in our very correct age.

Or as Dean Windass once said to me: "You know if you dish it out you have to take it don''t you?  I was at this game right and whenever I got near the away fans they were all singing "You''re shite and you know you are." Anyway there was some one down injured and they started up again cos I was near their touchline.  So I turned down and started ******* " "conducting" them.  And then some of these buggers laughed and a few clapped.  ******* great it was!"