Sign in to follow this  
CanaryOne

Charlton to make first Hoolahan bid

According to the Blackpool Gazzette , so it seems we have not even made a bid yet , so much for him being one we already had in the bag .

No it says there is a release clause but although there have been plenty of interest no firm bids yet , but Charlton are about to make one.

[quote user="O.J."]This, if true, would make me doubt the £250k release clause. Many clubs would''ve activated that before now if it existed.[/quote]Why? The transfer activity is only started to judder into life.

CHARLTON are set to be the first club to make a move for Blackpool''s Wes Hoolahan.

The Addicks have been linked with the winger for the past six months but reports in south London suggest manager Alan Pardew is gearing up for an official bid.

Hoolahan''s Seasiders deal has a season to run but he has a release clause in his contract.

The club has no wish to see him leave but the Irishman is understood to want a new challenge away from Bloomfield Road.

He has been linked with at least 10 Championship clubs but Charlton look set to be the first to test the water.

Pool also have continuing worries about centre-back Kaspars Gorkss, who has the same release clause.

Burnley look likely to come in with an offer for the Latvian, which could prompt a bidding war.

Gorkss has also been linked with Crystal Palace, Watford, Preston and Leeds.

If Simon Grayson is worried by the prospect of losing two of his best players, he isn''t showing it.

However, the manager admits he has drawn up contingency plans in the event of either or both leaving.
Paid

"We have to make sure we are prepared for one or two players going," conceded Grayson.

"You have to be aware that the players mentioned, and others who have attracted interest, could leave the club.

"We don''t want them to leave, but we have to make sure we have players who are available to replace them if they do.

"But that''s a big ''if'' at the moment.

"Wes and Kaspars are still under contract and are still getting paid by
this club but you can''t stop speculation."

Grayson is due to meet Andy Morrell and Claus Jorgensen in the next 48 hours and hopes to find out whether they wish to sign new deals at Bloomfield Road.

Added Grayson: "Claus has been away for a couple of weeks but I''m pretty relaxed about it.

"It''s the same with Andy. We had a chat and we''ve left it with him. Things will evolve over the next few days.

"I''d like to get one or two things put to bed, but it''s the time of year when everybody is keeping their options open and so it''s not always easy to get thing resolved quickly."

Pool are believed to be interested in season-long loan deals for Liverpool keeper David Martin and his brother, Tottenham midfielder Joe.

Dundee United striker Noel Hunt and Bury frontman Andy Bishop remain on the shopping list, while a quality midfielder is also a priority.

The full article contains 433 words and appears in n/a newspaper.

Page 1 of 1

• Last Updated: 27 May 2008 9:12 AM

• Source: n/a

And if this is true then I cannot see us being able to compete with other clubs for him, or anyone. Speed and surprise are our only weapons cos'' we certainly don''t have the financial muscle required

[quote user="Salahuddin"]And if this is true then I cannot see us being able to compete with other clubs for him, or anyone. Speed and surprise are our only weapons cos'' we certainly don''t have the financial muscle required[/quote]

Thank God people are finally waking up Salahuddin......

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMan"][quote user="O.J."]This, if true, would make me doubt the £250k release clause. Many clubs would''ve activated that before now if it existed.[/quote]Why? The transfer activity is only started to judder into life. [/quote]Surely at least one club would''ve wanted to get him sharpish if he was available on the cheap?