Sign in to follow this  
Cantley

Wolves 2002 - A warning from history.

An extract from the Wolves Stats website :

6/3/02, Match 38: Notts Forest 2 Wolves 2
"At the end honours even and probably justified. If anyone would have said we would get a draw here at the beginning of the season I would have said yes. Davy Jones seemed to think that we should have won and, well being biased, so would I, but you can''t keep winning every game. Ten points clear of third placed pondlife, with 8 games left maybe we won''t get 100+ points or even win the title but just the thought of promotion will keep me smiling all summer.
Keep it up, the promised land is within smelling distance."

Have a read for yourself:
http://www.wolves.stats.btinternet.co.uk/seasons/2000s/2001_team_ratings.html

By the way, Wolves'' last eight games went DLDWLLWD. A cautionary tale if ever I saw one.

I note you only include the last eight games - we have ten

Are we to assume that the other two games were lost also ?

Even those results would put us on 79 points and given the way other clubs are dropping points through defeats and draws it would probably be enough

Convert one of those draws into a win or pick a win from the missing two games and we are up

I think fans are missing the enormous gap that lies between us and third

Far from diminishing over the past six games it has in fact INCREASED.

Show me a club in the chasing pack that is showing any kind of consistency. We are asking that one of these clubs posts 9 wins out of ten games ! !" !

Millwall and Sunderland are bogged down in the FA Cup

Sunderland are the only ones with games in hand to pose a serious problem yet will find it difficult to cram in games in hand

I will run across Carrow Rd starkers if it doesn''t look more than certain at Reading away on Easter Monday.

Have you seen the reports for the play off games against us, they''re hardly flattering, bad losers! lets hope we by-pass them this season and maybe act a little more dignified if the event should arise.

"I note you only include the last eight games - we have ten
Are we to assume that the other two games were lost also ?"

No, Mad Dan, I''m afraid not. Prior to the Notts Forest game Wolves had won their previous seven matches on the trot.
In their last ten games Wolves got four wins and three draws. With eight games to go they were ten points clear of third place, and yet they still finished three points behind runners-up West Brom. Think about it.

"I''d like to think that we weren''t so unbelievably arragant"

So would I, DumbleDelia, but when you read what the Wolves fan said, apart from the pondlife bit, it''s not outrageous. And nothing worse than you''ll see on this and other City boards fifty times a day.
On an optimistic note, Wolves showed that such a collapse is possible, so for us hopefully it''ll be "forewarned is forearmed".
On The Ball City!

And in signing Kevin Cooper have we not now got an insider who can guide us every step of the way so we avoid whatever happened to them two seasons ago? Good psychology, Worthy...perhaps!