Sign in to follow this  
ManchesterCanary

Champions...35 years ago

...at this time in 1972 City started their final run in hoping to go up to the old 1st Division for the first time in City''s history. I can remember April 8th and ''Big Dunc'' getting the goal to beat Sheff Weds in front of 27000+ (we sometimes got 30k+). I also remember being part of a massive convoy of buses and 15,000+ City away fans to Leyton Orient and Watford where we became Champions. What glorious days they were...we even had ''Kop like'' surges in the Barclay then. I wonder what Ron Saunders and the gang are doing now...

Anyone here who remembers those days care to reminisce with your own distinctive memory...?

Hold on while I wipe the tears off my keyboard. Yes, if my memory serves me correctly we had a couple of very nervy 1-0s before clinching promotion at Orient I think on a Monday night - can just about remember running onto the pitch at the end when exuberant celebrations were still permitted. Watford the following Saturday I remember getting soaking wet on the open terrace and then several thousand of us running the full length of the pitch into the covered Watford end (I think it was called the Rookery) scattering assorted Watford bootboys. Missed out on Cardiff and clinching promotion in 2004 so great to have been part of history back in the 70s. Sadly, the mate I went with to those games died a few years back so bitter-sweet memories.

Ricko

Good memories Ricko...sorry to hear about your oppo.

Yeah, I also remember that charge across the pitch at Watford. The police, who were very heavy handed that day, tried herding us all into the open end and it was heaving with rain. It was getting very full and a few supporters tried their luck at crossing the pitch but the police just beat them back. The Watford boys backed up by some Arsenal boys (out for some fun?) were taunting us. It was too much, so the whole Norwich end just charged across the pitch en masse, scattering Police and shocked Watford and Arsenal boys alike, taking over the Rookery end...and, more importantly, getting dry! Stringers goal in front of the Norwich hordes was the icing on the cake. It finished 1-1 but the point was enough to be Champions!