Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Blonde

Youth Policy?

Is anyone familiar with the current NCFC policy for signing up young (7/8 year old childern) footballers?  I''ve heard several stories of children being invited to train with Norwich but it seems all they are looking for is bigger, stronger lads whereas the Ipswich academy is looking for children with a good first touch and all round ability.

It seems to me that although this may deliver success in the short term it does not bode well for the future of the first team.  Although we have excellent training facilities perhaps the clubs philosophy for coaching young players may need attention to ensure we pick up the best available talent.

In addition to this NCFC seem to insist on the full training kit (at a cost of around £80) and are also charging for games against other local academies.  This is ultimately going to drive children away and I''m aware of some children joining the Ipswich academy in preference to Norwich due to the points mentioned.

Athough I''ve been reading this and other NCFC bulletion boards for a number of years this is my first post!!

Any thoughts?

Norwich City I DO NOT BELIEVE  charge for training kit/track suits  when a child becomes a member of the academy, but I believe this about 9-10 years old.  I known that if a child is coached by F.I.T.C in the P.DC, they do pay for training kit.  I personally think it would be quite small minded to take a child to Ipswich because of these payments bearing in mind the travel costs/time. I don''t know about Ipswich at this age, but I think FITC do a great job with the youngsters pre academy.   I would on the other hand say that Ipswich do seem to give their youngsters a better chance.