Sign in to follow this  
KidCanary

unbelievable

I stated that this was a concern of mine when Worthy was finally asked to leave, that people had been too quick to criticise, chop and change their mind depending on the last result and this could lead to further lunacy in the future.  I was against Worthy''s sacking but with hind sight maybe a change was what was needed, I think the squad has become complacent.  There appears to be no back bone/spirit in our team, if we come up against any one with grit and determination we have lost.  I''m not sure Grant can reverse this trend in the current squad because looking back I would say this has been in place for a while.  Some players came down with the attitude, last season, that we could walk the league, we certainly had the talent, but unforunately because of the former point we didnt have the fight.  Left to play catch up and after a dire run of injuries (any one who thinks that would have no affect is living on another planet), heads dropped.  To be honest I dont think they have ever come back, maybe briefly in patches, but when ever we have encountered some thing that involves hard work, no one has stood up to be counted.I was pleased with Grants appointment, definitely the calibre of manager we should be aiming and probably the best we could hope for.Lo and behold after various people declared Grant the new messiah last week, a five nil drubbing later and apparently we are getting relegated and their have been calls for his head.I can not believe some people are seriously calling for this after 3 games in charge, absolutely astonished.Do people believe there is some tried and tested formula where you plonk a new manager on to an existing team and eh voila, champions elect?Play offs are an outside bet this season, yes we have the players if the first team is fit but as we all know the squad is very shallow.Grant has to get to know the lie of the land, his players, his staff and THEN he can go about rebuilding the team as he see''s fit, this doesnt happen over night.

I agree it is absurd to call for Grants head. Norwich fans have always been the most fickle in the country [with the exception of Aston Villa fans in the Ellis era, so I''m reliably informed]. If people have a gripe at his appointment, then have a go at the board [i.e Delia] for placing him there.

Amateurs running a professional club - That can''t be right?

I think everyone is going to remain jittery until we see signs that things are being pushed firmly in the right direction. With a squad as thin and injury-ravaged as ours, he can''t pick a first XI and stick to it, so he''s chopping and changing and making do, and it won''t work every match. We can''t judge him until February and he''s had his first shot at improving the squad. If we can see a discernible improvement on February the 1st, to the squad that he was lumbered with until December 31st, that''s when people will settle down and help row in the same direction. Because of the ridiculous transfer window system, we''re in limbo until then, so results will be inconsistent.

I don''t agree with everything Grant has said and done, but to be fair, I couldn''t see Jose Mourinho getting consistent, productive performances out of this squad until he''d had a chance to make some changes either.

Don''t think I''ve seen anyone calling for Grant to be sacked (but I could be wrong) - what everyone agrees on is that he was incredibly naive with his formation/team selection at the weekend. If this was a one off mistake and he learns from it, good. If he really believes you can tell a player exactly how to perform in an alien formation and position and expect them to deliver then he''s going to have a very short managerial career.

Now if he''d gone 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 with Eagle on the left, he could have blamed thin squads, injuries etc and got away with it but playing the team/formation he did leaves him exposed to criticism and he''s not been man enough to admit any part of the blame and that''s getting peoples backs up. You can''t totally blame the players as not many fans expected that formation or the players in it to perform and they were right.

[quote user="KidCanary"]I stated that this was a concern of mine when Worthy was finally asked to leave, that people had been too quick to criticise, chop and change their mind depending on the last result and this could lead to further lunacy in the future.  I was against Worthy''s sacking but with hind sight maybe a change was what was needed, I think the squad has become complacent.  There appears to be no back bone/spirit in our team, if we come up against any one with grit and determination we have lost.  I''m not sure Grant can reverse this trend in the current squad because looking back I would say this has been in place for a while.  Some players came down with the attitude, last season, that we could walk the league, we certainly had the talent, but unforunately because of the former point we didnt have the fight.  Left to play catch up and after a dire run of injuries (any one who thinks that would have no affect is living on another planet), heads dropped.  To be honest I dont think they have ever come back, maybe briefly in patches, but when ever we have encountered some thing that involves hard work, no one has stood up to be counted.

I was pleased with Grants appointment, definitely the calibre of manager we should be aiming and probably the best we could hope for.

Lo and behold after various people declared Grant the new messiah last week, a five nil drubbing later and apparently we are getting relegated and their have been calls for his head.

I can not believe some people are seriously calling for this after 3 games in charge, absolutely astonished.

Do people believe there is some tried and tested formula where you plonk a new manager on to an existing team and eh voila, champions elect?

Play offs are an outside bet this season, yes we have the players if the first team is fit but as we all know the squad is very shallow.

Grant has to get to know the lie of the land, his players, his staff and THEN he can go about rebuilding the team as he see''s fit, this doesnt happen over night.
[/quote]

Sorry kid canary........but you seem to be missing the point.  No-one is crying for Grants head as he is here now on a lengthy contract. I ask that you look beyond this minor issue to see what is going on regarding the ''whole'' club........It''s a shambles and if Delia Smith doesn''t back Grant up with considerable funds when requested....we will at best be stuck in this league for years.

I''ve seen much better days at Carrow Road....with much smaller gates......so why are we where we are?

As for fickle?.......my butt. We are a pretty astute bunch in this part of the world....and we know when someone is pulling our plonker!

Blame List:

Delia and Michael: Come across as amiable duffers and die hard fans but in truth they are rich and have no intention of undermining their current position in the Times Rich List.

Neil Doncaster: Supposedly the candid, straight talking one, actually an accountant who starts with half truths and then expands on them with statistics to back them up.

Roger Munby: Sooty to D and M''s Harry Corbett

Nigel Worthington: Came in like a new broom, got comfy, got successful, got complacent, got lazy, stopped challenging the board, left us with thin squad, mainly too old or too experienced.

Back room staff: See Nigel

Senior Players: Everyone one bar Gallacher, Huckerby and, maybe, Earnshaw, Drury, Croft.

Don''t Blame: 

Fans: what else can we do but pay, turn up and support the team? we''ve let nobody down.

Peter Grant: He maybe a bit gobby and self assured and he''s already made mistakes, but we need someone to challenge all the above, bar Nigel of course, and given a chance he might achieve it against the odds that those above have dealt him.   

[quote user="cluckadoodledoo"]Sorry kid canary........but you seem to be missing the point.  No-one is crying for Grants head as he is here now on a lengthy contract. I ask that you look beyond this minor issue to see what is going on regarding the ''whole'' club........It''s a shambles and if Delia Smith doesn''t back Grant up with considerable funds when requested....we will at best be stuck in this league for years.

I''ve seen much better days at Carrow Road....with much smaller gates......so why are we where we are?

As for fickle?.......my butt. We are a pretty astute bunch in this part of the world....and we know when someone is pulling our plonker!

[/quote]Sorry Cluck im not, i have seen people calling for Grants head, in plain text on this site, hence writing this message.I do not agree with you points re: Delia at all, the club is not in a shambles, financially we are able to acquire players without selling (a feat that was common place before Delia and her husband was on board), we are in a transitional period due to change of management and it will take some time for this to happen, but I feel we are making positive steps, maybe you could elaborate on why you feel the opposite?Yes there does appear to be alot of fickle fans here, hence having to write this thread in the first place e.g people calling for grants head after 3 gamesUnfortunately I''m not in a position to judge how ''astute'' each member here is, but you carry on discussing points that were no focus of this thread if you want, you seem to like the sound of your own voice.