Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Rider

USA Canary may be right!

If the two matches so far are an accurate benchmark there has been clearly been a major strategic decision to play football on the deck (arguably even excessively so?). Some fans have posted that we are now playing ''like two years ago''. I disagree. Many of the performances in the promotion season were hard ground out narrow wins. Sure there was some very good stuff played at times but much was down to the swashbuckling Hucks and / or the overall sheer ''power'' of the team to dominate matches (e.g. second half of the 4-0 away win at Derby). Our style was very much a mix of some good passing play with a direct style looking for Roberts or Svennson. It was NOT the almost obsessive ''keeping the ball on the floor'' style of last night (or v Leeds).

I''m not criticising the change (far from it) but what does this tell us about Worthy''s REAL philosophy or influence. ''It''s all down to Hunter'' some are saying but I can''t see this. Worthy would have told Hunter how he wants the game played and would have set the overall strategy leaving it to Hunter to get down to the detail at Colney.

Maybe, just maybe, the Worthy Out movement HAVE succeeded in forcing the manager into the current strategy as a way of relieving the pressure and keeping his job? After all, IMO, the ''hoofball'' complaints formed the core of the anti Worthy cause. There were other factors of course, perceived poor signings, favouritism to the likes of Flem and Holt, seriously restricted opportunities for our youngsters but the poor quality of fotball was the root cause.

''Does it matter'' I hear you say? Probably not but intriguing none the less!

The one thing that nobody can deny is that there has been a HUGE change.

If anybody thinks this huge change was not BECAUSE of the complaints/protests about the horrible hoofball we played last year then frankly they are living in a dreamworld.

What is very frustrating is that we had a great core of players at the club last year but the tactics did not exploit their strengths.

We still have those players minus Ashton. PLUS Croft

In the past the hoofball/longball was used by less skilled teams (Wimbledon) to negate the skill of superior teams.

The passing game has the effect of wearing down the opposing midfield more, so they are less able to attack/defend.

The passing game also has the effect of entertaining the crowd.

Wow, getting the crowd on your side is easy, just give them something they like.

Football really is a simple game.