Sign in to follow this  
Chunky Norwich

Top two targets? Pur-lease!

To be perfectly honest, my main concern with the transfer front at the minute is not that we may not have much money but that Worthington''s top two (and only two by the sounds of things) transfer targets were Rob ''journeyman'' Hulse and Steve ''who?'' Howard! I''m actually quite happy that the seeming financial impositions are there because I don''t really think these players were even needed. Obviously I''d take them on a free in a hypothetical world but we have soooo many other gaps to fill in the team first. Basically everything bar the goalkeeper! I''m sort-of lost for words really.

It does highlight the total rubbish of the "work is ongoing, Nigel and his team are working hard to bring people in" quotes by Munby, Doncaster et al. All that hard work that "never stops outside the transfer window, we''re coming up with our lists in March and April" crap.

In all that time, with a network of scouts whom I assume don''t actually get asked to do anything, all he could find in the way of a target man are two names. Two sodding names!!!

I appreciate, if he''s looking for proven Championship strikers, then the search catagory is limited, but why the hell don''t we have promising young lower league talent watched and have a punt on one of them? How many players started out in the lower leagues only to become great Premiership or International players? Rob Earnshaw started off in Division Two for Cardiff and now we think he''s worth £3.5m! With no target man in our squad, why not spend £250k on a likely lad from Macclesfield or somewhere who has potential but has never played at Championship level? Parkin at Hull came from there and he''s a beast who could easily do a job for us. If it doesn''t work out, you can always sell these players on, albeit at a slight loss but if you don''t take a small punt, you''ll never unearth any talent at all.

It''s becoming clear that Nigel Worthington has spent all summer with his feet up and is now chucking his toys around in the pram because he doesn''t get his first or second choice when everyone else has been busy MAKING things happen all summer.

Firstly, if you believe that these two players are the only players he''s been looking at, then you''ll believe anything.

But secondly, why not look abroad? Why do we have to buy from England? There must be quality in the French/Spanish/German/Dutch/Irish leagues that we can look at?

Once bitten, twice shy surely re: foreign transfer targets? After the slowness in players such as Colin in adapting to Britsih life I''d figure that foreign transfer markets are a place where Worthers fears to tred...