Sign in to follow this  
Dicky

Thank goodness

The fact that so many people have jumped onto this thread and made points shows the greatest strength of the club: Fans who genuinely care greatly about the team and the club.

Whatever your viewpoint, Worthy-Outer or Keep-the-Faither or as 99% of us are, somewhere in between, the fact that we all get so passionate is a huge plus for the club, and we have seen the effects of chanelling this in the same direction before (i.e. with the growth in belief from Hucks joining on loan going right through to promotion).

So why doesn''t everyone get behind the team and we''ll have no problems? Unfortunately this is the sticking point. Because whereas we ALL want to get behind a successful winning attractive City team again, a large percentage don''t believe anymore. They''ve lost their faith in some of the players being able to deliver, in the manager, in the board to provide funds, or in some cases all three. And teh frustrating thing is that we, as fans, can''t do a damn thing to rectify this.

If we cheer on Delia et al they''ll believe all-is-well and we''re happy that one of the best supported clubs in the Championship can''t afford to buy a single player in pre-season. If we cheer on Worthy, he''ll think it''s ok to keep hoofing it and picking his favourites regardless of their form. And if we cheer players regardless of how well they''re playing, it all gets a bit too damn cosy and there''s no fear of failure for them. Go in for the fifty-fifty ball? Naah, it''s ok, nobody''ll say anything if I don''t.

If we boo Delia we could lose a stable and generous backer who, when all is said and done, allows the manager to get on with his job and genuinely has the clubs best interests at heart. If we boo Worthington, nothing happens. He still picks the same players that played badly again next week, plus he makes a few snotty comments in the local press about the crowd not playing their part. If we boo the players they generally play worse, get hacked off with us and it becomes more difficult to attract new ones. Plus we all get that nasty feeling deep down in side that we really shouldn''t be booing players if they''re only crime is not playing well. Especially if they''re trying their hardest as a certain Mr Hughes always does.

The result is that we sit there, increasingly frustrated, and impotent. And so the anger builds and the tension, and it''s felt by the players, the fans and those at the club equally. And we all want to do something to put it right, but the reality is that the only person who can do that, is the one man who won''t change.

Some of us are happy to follow blindly and trust in Nige and Delia regardless. Others have lost the faith.

What''s clear is that we''re all on the same side. The people who create and perpetuate arguments on this site are the ones who can''t see the viewpoints of others. A little common sense and an appreciation of the potential of another viewpoint are vital if we are to all push forward together.

Will I join the call to simply accept it?   Will start the season calling for the managers head?   The answer to both is no. 

What I am looking for in both pre season and the early games is clear evidence that the squad has been strengthened, that our poor tactical play last year has been ditched and our philosophy expanded upon to ensure that one we do get the work rate we need to be successful (it was not always there last season) MATCHED with a tactical and footballing ability to get the best out of that strengthened squad. 

Those signs of improvement need to be, can be and most importantly have to be visible, if not perfected, to every supporter from the very first few games of the season.   Without those seeds of hope  to cling on to I will become the other side of being a supporter, which is that of critical friend - it make me or anyone else no of less a real supporter - whatever that ludicrous concept may be - any other passionate city fan occupying this or any other NCFC forum..