Sign in to follow this  
Numan

Observations / Thoughts

I will kick-off by stating that I am a big fan of Farke, however, from the post-match interview I observe a man who looks ready to throw in the towel. He defends his style of play (as is his right to do) and his players (also, rightly so) but I get the impression that deep-down he knows the players chosen to be signed are not good enough at the moment to compete in the PL.  His body language looks dejected and totally at odds with what he is saying.  I don't want to see him sacked but I get the impression he is ready to fall on his sword and resign.  He probably won't as he seems to be an honourable bloke who will stick to his contract.  Perhaps the big pay-off he will get if sacked  is another factor in him sticking around.

Now, the players.  Pukki does appear to be past his best.  The ageing striker no longer looks to have the strength to deal with the current breed of young fit PL defenders.  The other forwards, Sargent, Tzolis, Rashica etc simply do not appear to be good enough for the PL.  The midfield is held together by Normann but the rest are showing no signs of being able to open a PL defence.  The defenders are a mixed bag, Hanley has stepped up to the challenge and is improving at this level, Gibson (prior to his sending off) was also improving, but Kabak is too reckless and will get caught out again if he tries to pretend he is Cruyff, apart from Aarons the rest are very ordinary although Omobamidele looks promising. Krul is still a good keeper, the best we've got and from what little I have seen of Gunn I have not been impressed.

The absentees.  Gilmour deserves a start. I have no idea what the problem is with him but get him on the pitch asap.  Williams, I agree with his absence, this lad does not appear to offer anything other than sideways balls and most of them go astray.  Finally Cantwell.  My 'inside source' tells me that the problem here is with the player not Farke.  He is reported to be confrontational and still sulking about not getting his summer move and no longer wants to play for the club.  That, of course, may be rubbish but who knows?  The club won't tell us and I don't think they should.

Bottom line is that we will probably be relegated with a terrible record of defeats and goals against.  It's not all down to Farke who is trying to do the best with what he has been given but knows they're not good enough.  His frustration also shows by the way we played once we went 2-1 down on Saturday .... kitchen sink long ball stuff.  I feel the problem is with Webber's obsession with recruiting from abroad.  Yes, we have made some good signings in the past but the current crop appeared, to me, to be signed in a hurry.  They don't know about the Championship let alone the PL.  Webber should have looked at also signing some old hands in all departments, people who know the PL. 

That's all for now.