Sign in to follow this  
Ernie

How much money is enough?

Having read so many posts regarding competing for player transfers only for wage their demands to be to much I for one am happy we are not going to go down that road, a road that I might add has got many a club into deep trouble.  For example if we were to sign a player on say £10,000 a week from the Championship/league 1 or even 2, thats the equivalent of £500,000 a year, is that not enough?  Now the average yearly wage in Norfolk is say £25,000 that would take you 20 years to earn that kind of money.  Now I appreciate footballers pay is driven by market forces but surely if your a young man given the chance to play and prove yourself at a higher level then it shouldnt be just about the money and if it is then we wouldnt want you here anyway, because as the club moves forward so to will your paypacket (to an extent) and if it doesn''t but your have done the business on the pitch you can always move on.  That guy, cant remember his name that went to play in the crap Russian league because he was offered something like £300,000 a week (£15,600,000 a year) as opposed to a paltry £150,000 a week (£7,800,000 a year) represents all that is wrong with not just football but bankers being paid ridiculous amounts of money for failure and the super wealthy individuals that have more money than some small countries and I just cant see how it can carry on like that.  People are getting really fed up with it and rightly so.  There are exceptions to the rule however a certain Darren Huckerby comes to mind who rejected the bigger paypackets to stay with us and I applaud him for that.  My point is I really dont think football can continue paying these crazy wages, the bubble will have to burst just like the housing market, the economy and to a degree even capitalism.  Even those stupidly rich individuals pumping their billions into clubs will end up being scourned by the general public as it will no longer be seen as acceptable, regardless of the club, Man City etc.  Anyway I''m glad Norwich are not going to be held to ranson as I believe there is alot to be said for the way we have equipped ourselfs, management, players, staff and the fans.  Rant over (by the way in my younger days I would have played for NCFC, given the chance, just for the priveledge as I am sure so to would many others!)

According to FM (which I know people may not care about, but i''m lead to believe its fairly accurate on such matters) Norwich have an average wages of £8,000 a week, obviously that means some players are getting paid more than that, because the average probably includes a few younger players who are in the first team squad, who won''t get paid as much (but I assume it doesn''t include all youth players...).

I think thats why some players are out of our reach, because were not going to pay loads on wages. If you pay less on wages, it saves you money to spend on the original transfer fee. £10,000 a week, is £500,00 a year, under Lambert we could probably buy a player for £500,000 thats good enough for the squad, so instead of paying someone £20,000+ we get players in on a smaller wage, and spend the remaining money on transfer fees.

I saw on here someone saying we have £7 million budget including wages etc, you may look at that £7 million and think its a decent amount, but your only looking at 2-3 decent players (and only decent players because Lambert will be buying them, I wouldn''t have confidence in every manager to get 2-3 premiership quality players in our squad for that amount), once you take wages and agent/signing on fees into consideration...

You don''t have to spend a fortune on players though tbh

there are proberly a load of decent players in the lower leagues, or that haven''t even been discovered yet. All you need to do is find them.