Sign in to follow this  
Pabs

Possible new centre backs?

Depending on how Ward / Whitbread''s injuries are it has been suggested we may need another new Centre back.

Ayala is also injured but from what I saw of him, he is very raw and needs more strength to be a PL centre back. De Laet has been excellent so far, and Barnett has shown he has some quality.

However, I think we should really push the boat out for a proven premier league centre back.

I have three names, you may see these as unrealistic but I think we could get them by spending a bit of money:

- Scott Dann: I know he has been linked with top clubs, but also linked with Blackburn today. I would be gutted if a relegation rival signed him. He is the better half of the Birmingham partnership last year, and I think we could get him for bout £7m, a lot of money but if we want to stay up...?

- Carlos Cuellar : Still at Villa despite interest from rangers but out of favour. Was excellent for Villa under O''Neill and has experience. As a Spaniard, could be a useful role model for Ayala too. Could get him for £2m although wages could be a stumbling block.

- Nedum Onouha - A Lambert type player, who is intelligent (literally, he has about 10 A Levels) and still wants to prove himself in the PL - a good loan spell at Sunderland last year. Can play RB, but was once rated as one of the best upcoming centre backs in England. Again, QPR and Blackburn are being linked - worth trying to gazump them!

Pabs I think that someone posted a comment on here that is integral to our season this year more than ever.

We need a solid, understanding, complimentary centre back pairing for the season.

That is what gets you through and certainly when in our position fighting for survival.

De Laet is stand out to our centre halves so far, so we need him to form a partnership soon. I felt barnett would be that but again against chelsea, at times he wobbled and got turned rather easily.

I would say that by the time we play wba, we may have whitbread capable to on the bench and then wardy not too far off, if reports are true.

I''d rather that so we don''t have a surplus of centre halves. But if we don''t feel we have the players to ubild that with then that could be a worry.

Out of the three, dann will go elsewhere, cuellar is primarily a right back isn''t he? Onouha has had interest from others and is well thought of. I hav not seen him play but I am sure a transfer for him would be quite a bit of money. But would be the better piece of business.

It is an interesting moment to see what Lambert does. Personally I see him sticking with our centre halves and hence I hope that we can form that important cantre back partenrship and find that player within our own ranks to play alongside de laet.