Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

High Hopes?

Question - what have the last three managers in common, apart from being sacked?Answer - they have all operated on a shoe string, hence the many loan players before Gunn, with a massive debt hanging over the club. The two are surely related. The club''s very existence has been under threat, and it seems that they agreed to to be too demanding in transfer fees. (I am sure the very inventive posters here will find other similarities, but this is not a quiz) My point is that unless there is much fresh capital to come in soon, any new manager, even one everyone approves of, will be under the same handicap. He may be more astute, experienced, engaging, but he is going to have to operate with the present squad. There is little time to buy outstanding additions to the squad, and there is little money. I suppose there are always loans (-Alnwick for the season?)!!More than that, even if he succeeds in gaining promotion this season or next, where would he buy Championship level players? He would face the problem his three predecessors had - finding Bosmans and bargains. Whoever comes, and we all have our own favourite(s), we have to be patient, and not rush into damning criticism. The "honeymoon" periods of the last three got shorter and shorter. He and we have a mountain to climb, and we must impose a self-denying ordnance, not seek to dismiss him as soon as one or two disappointing results come or the expected miracle doesn''t materialise.We have high hopes, but our club has problems.

we have not been in the 3rd tier for 50 years, so fans don''t expect it from this club, but nor did leeds fans and bradford were only in the prem 8 years ago i think!!