Sign in to follow this  
Hayden

THIN, VERY THIN...Probably nothing

I have just realised how painfully thin our squad is, I mean really thin. Chuck in the fact that after Watford it appears that we have players who are also not regarded good enough by Nige (e.g. Briggs, Rivers), and the fact that some get a game who are not good enough (Easton) then either way I hope to see some serious player movements coming soon. I think we made an awful mistake letting Russell leave the football club with his versatitlity. Just for something to do, if you take out the loanees and long termers Abbey and Notman this is our current player base:

Green (Crichton)
Edworthy (Briggs, but not regarded good enough)
Mackay (Shackell)
Fleming (Shackell)
Drury (no cover)
Holt (Mulryne) (Sinclair)
Francis (Easton...hah hah)
Rivers (Henderson)
McVeigh (BRENNAN - injured)
Jarvis
Roberts

We need to bring in some more loanees or for some serious tranfer activity, where do people see the money best spent?

On a brighter note, lets look at the positions and who CAN play in them.
This INCLUDES Harper and Crouch (if i had to guess i''d say we will keep these two after Dec 13th and lose DH) Briggs and Shackell (good enough to at least be given a run) and Brennan (almost over injury). But NOT sinclair or lewis (not experienced/good enough yet) Easton Notman or Abbey (long term injured, rubbish or both) or Iwan (the legend fades!).
So:

GK Green, Crichton
RB Edworthy, Briggs, Holt
CBs Fleming, Mackay, Shackell
LB Drury, Shackell, Brennan (he played here for Forest)
RM Harper, Henderson, Rivers, McVeigh, Jarvis, Edworthy
CRM Holt, Francis, Mulryne, Harper (?)
CLM Holt, Francis, Mulryne
LM Brennan, McVeigh, Henderson (didn''t NW play him here last season?)
CFs Crouch, McVeigh, Jarvis, Rivers, Henderson

On second thoughts, it''s not that bright is it!! Centre back is an area of concern and Lewis needs to come on fast. Also left midfield. One thing this shows is how valuable McVeigh is to us because he can play virtually any attacking role on the park. If we lose him to injury we''re down to Jarvis or Rivers up front with Crouch and left with a serious problem on the left. Henderson i guess. Maybe this is why Worthy keeps trying to bring Easton on! Personally i''d like to see Rivers given a run up front as we wouldn''t have to carry him so much if we had a hard worker like Harper on the right. Then Rivers could focus on running at players and causing problems without his laziness causing being problems for the right back. People here knock him but the guy has undoubted talent and we should make a big effort to fit him into the side if we can without compromising the rest of the team. Remember Portsmouth last season? There has to be a place for play like that in the side. If he played like he did at Fratton Park every game it would be like having Huckerby!

wasn''t trying to be a doom merchant, but was surprised at our lack of depth, especially as you say in the middle (at the back and up front). I suppose my biggest worry is that you can only go on so long playing players out of position before you get found out (Watford). An injury to Malks or Flem and we are in the ****. Likewise, if we lose Hucks up front it is critical that Crouch is retained, as Iwan is past it.

On another note, do you watch Soccer A.m. and more importantly a certain Lee Trundle from Swansea? Also think Reo-coker from the Wombles might be worth a look as well.