Sign in to follow this  
Peter

No past it old crocks or foreign mercenaries please

We have been and are being linked with a number of has beens who will want expensive pay days to come to Norwich such as Keown and Petit, Mcateer and the rest.

The perceived wisdom we are going to need players with proven Prem pedigree, but those are going to cost, Nigels limited budget can we afford them, perhaps we need to look for players who will see the Prem as a challenge and not as a last big payday.

We need defenders Danny Gabbidon mentioned but probably will come as too expensive, surely there were others with potential in Div 1 or lower.

Midfield needs to be strengthened on right and in middle. Cooper/Hughes look experienced for our right but how much wll they cost. In Middle Dickson Etuhu from PNE looked good and might surprise a few.

Up front if not Crouch Ricardo Fuller of PNE looked a handful.

Not proven at Prem level I hear you cry, but unless we are going to replace whole team that argument can be attributed to the entire squad. We will not know until August whether anyone will be able to cut it. By then it my be too late, but I would rather we took on eager, youngish, promising hopefuls than the old crocks.

Can only take two from Prem on loan, where else can NW find loanees that will be beneficial to our squad?

One might be Bentley who apparently is waiting to see if W Ham go up so he can benefit from the shrewd tactics and astute management of one Alan Pardew, poor deluded boy.

I agree. This ''proven'' thing seems odd to me, it seems to fail as often as it works. Too often ''proven'' means they are on their way down with little motivation to work for the team, something that Nigel has built his teams on.

I''d rather sign players on the way up who are good enough and hungry. True, they might be expensive although what you pay in transfer fees you might recoup in wages. Look at Drury, Francis and McKenzie. Not expensive, but players most people would start with in the Prem.

Ama

Hooray, Ama. Couldn''t agree more. Everyone is saying we need players of proven Prem. quality, but that doesn''t guarantee you commitment to the cause, desire, hunger, etc. - all the things you allude to. Giving someone with undoubted talent at a slightly lower level the chance to perform on the biggest stage in the country, if not the world, has got to be a HUGE incentive for anyone AND you may be able to offer a contract length on terms that mean he will not be running off (like Scimeca) at the drop of a hat!