Sign in to follow this  
Chunky Norwich

Why nothing but a striker?

Apologies if this has already been brought up many times before (or even once!) by why is there this seeming insistence on looking at nothing but strikers to add to the squad? Howard, Hulse, McCleod etc. Surely this is the one area where we DON''T need improving - and I''m speaking in relative terms here. Our current squad, and I will admit I''m omitting lots of the youngsters because I don''t really know where their proper playing position is (i.e. Rossi Jarvis, Michael Spillane etc though they are all untested anyway), consists of:

3 goalkeepers; one injured, one untested

1 left-back

2 right-backs; one always injured

3 centre-backs

1 right-midfielder; IF Hughes counts

1 left-midfielder; IF Huckerby counts

3 central midfielders

6 strikers (Not including Huckerby)

If you were playing Championship Manager and looked at that squad, surely the last place you would start desperately adding to would be the strike force. Especially considering that most of the players in the threadbare positions are of questionable quality anyway. What happens if Drury gets injured? Presumably Shackell could act as cover but then we lose all cover for the centre-backs. Without sounding too pessimistic, I dread to think what would happen to our campaign if even one of Safri, Earnshaw or Huckerby were out for a prolonged period. I am sorry if I appear to be casting grumbles and doubts before the season kicks off but......

I think it shows a lack of managerial skill that he just panics and buys strikers, thinking they will solve all the problems alone