Sign in to follow this  
Ken Aries

Why do managers have their initials on their jackets?

The official web site has a cute picture of Worthless wearing a swish bright red jacket at a training session and he''s following the current trend of having his initials in large white letters on the front of the garment. I have often wondered why managers and coaching staff at football clubs do this. I find this practice rather silly, pointless and juvenile. Do they have the letters added as a memory jogger, in case they forget their own names? Is it because the squads are so large that not everybody gets to learn the manager and coaches names? Could it be that footballers have such a short attention span, that as soon as they are told the manager''s name they instantly forget it? I think we should be told!

I presume you are talking about a training jacket rather than a suit jacket?In either case I believe that the squad are issued with the same attire - this is sertainly the case when it comes to training jackets, therefore the initials are on the front so the jackets are not muddled up.I think when it comes to the players it is also a bit like the reason why players have their numbers on their shirts along with their names in most cases. It helps the onlooker identify who it is - more for visitors and media who may not be intirely knowledgeable of what players look like.