Sign in to follow this  
rieg77

Should we change the defence on Saturday?

I haven''t been to every game this season but I''ve seen and read enough to know that our defence is doing a good impression of a sieve. Particularly central defence.

I''ve looked back through the teams that we have fielded. We''ve fielded a Doherty/Fleming combination once and a Shackell/Fleming comibination 6 times. Theres one constant. Our illustrious captain, Craig Fleming.

Given his age, his stature, his poor showing last season, and his poorer performances this season, is it not time to drop Fleming and give Shackell and Doherty the opportunity to strike a partnership.

Doherty has proven that if he is given a run in the team he can find his form - he did it last year and was then dropped.

Fleming is fast proving that he can''t hack it any more. I''m singling him out for the teams poor run, I just think its an obvious change that should be made. We can''t do any worse than we''ve been doing by trying it.

I suspect Worthy will do anything but drop his captain though.

Thoughts??

[quote]I haven''t been to every game this season but I''ve seen and read enough to know that our defence is doing a good impression of a sieve. Particularly central defence. I''ve looked back through the teams...[/quote]

I plead the 5th amendment on individual players for fear of starting another true fan debate.

Whoever plays though have to be able to operate as a defensive unit, with a clear leader helping to keep a shape, communicate and remain disciplined enough to stay further up the pitch.  

A lot to learn in less than 2 weeks - but we can always hope.

OTBC

[quote]I plead the 5th amendment on individual players for fear of starting another true fan debate. Whoever plays though have to be able to operate as a defensive unit, with a clear leader helping to keep...[/quote]

If only there was a way to edit the post dammit!!!

I of course meant to say that I am NOT singling Fleming out for the teams poor run.

DOH - a bad typo indeed

[quote]If only there was a way to edit the post dammit!!! I of course meant to say that I am NOT singling Fleming out for the teams poor run. DOH - a bad typo indeed[/quote]

My comments about the 5th amendment were aimed at my well known views on the defence rather than your post - which seems an eminently sensible suggestion given the defences performance over the last 12 months. 

A freudian typo perhaps?!

OTBC